Thread poster: Korana Lasić
Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:30
Greek to English
Management Aug 13, 2021

Eva Stoppa wrote:
I wonder what is the Point then of making translators sign tons of Agreements if no work is to come anyway.

I'm speculating here, but I think it's probably a sign of MBA disease. Management sets arbitrary targets, such as "We aim to sign up XXX translators in XX languages" by the end of this month.

Then if they meet the target, they can mark it down as a success, so as to demonstrate how competent and efficient they are, even while the agency isn't making any money.

Nowadays, success in management seems to consist in this: setting targets you can meet, even if they bear no relation to the success or otherwise of the company's ostensible business. Thus, for example, Boeing have devoted so much priority and industry to buyouts and mergers that they are no longer capable of manufacturing aeroplanes that can fly.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Korana Lasić
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Kay Denney

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:30
English to German
+ ...
Looks very familiar Aug 13, 2021

Philip Lees wrote:

Eva Stoppa wrote:
I wonder what is the Point then of making translators sign tons of Agreements if no work is to come anyway.

I'm speculating here, but I think it's probably a sign of MBA disease. Management sets arbitrary targets, such as "We aim to sign up XXX translators in XX languages" by the end of this month.

Then if they meet the target, they can mark it down as a success, so as to demonstrate how competent and efficient they are, even while the agency isn't making any money.

Nowadays, success in management seems to consist in this: setting targets you can meet, even if they bear no relation to the success or otherwise of the company's ostensible business. Thus, for example, Boeing have devoted so much priority and industry to buyouts and mergers that they are no longer capable of manufacturing aeroplanes that can fly.

...and those Snobs have been ridiculing other Systems which I won't mention the names of here who had five-year-plans to meet Targets.

Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, that's what I'd usually do but this is more risk than I'm willing to take. Aug 13, 2021

Adieu wrote:

See if they pay up or start nagging and whining.

Some agencies are scammy, but some penalty clauses surely exist solely because of the proliferation of ctrl-c-ctrl-v-submit-done MT bullsh!t artists and other clowns in our profession.

There has been no actual job yet, something Philip rightfully pointed out, and the contracts are micromanaging the freelancer and designed so the freelancer takes all the risk.

If anyone in the agency makes an error and I don't catch it before I even accept the work, they can not pay me. If I make even a minor mistake they can not pay me.

Adieu, mistakes will be made. I am an excellent, bilingual, very versatile translator, but I am not a miracle worker or infallible. If I make too many mistakes, an LSP can stop working with me, after they pay me for my time and work. Hiring a subpar translator is the risk they take. Just like I, as a freelancer, take certain risks working with a new agency. I also do not catch anything about the projects I accept from people at 8 PM my time, before I start actually working on them, which can be a couple of days later.

I understand that they aimed to protect themselves from bad translators but that must be done by offering reasonable rates, which they do, and vetting your translators with a small job, as you mentioned. Not by expecting the freelancer to take his or her own risks, the risk the agency is supposed to take and the risk the two parties should share, and all that before you even have any actual work for them.

I'd just rather not.

Thank you all for your input. I really do appreciate it.

[Edited at 2021-08-13 09:54 GMT]

Kristina Love

Korana Lasić
Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yup. Aug 13, 2021

Philip Lees wrote:

In cases like this I tell the agency, politely, that it is not my policy to read and sign large amounts of documentation unless there is an actual job on the table.

If there is such a job, we can discuss price and other terms, and assuming we come to an agreement, at that point I'll deal with their other bureaucratic stuff.

But that second part has never happened to me so far.

Exactly, all this before any actual job was sent. Thank you.

Korana Lasić
Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bureaucracy wants what it wants. Aug 13, 2021

Eva Stoppa wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about signing these documents. They are written by the lawyers who work for the agency and have to justify their existence.

In my (quite long) experience, the more legal agreements these agencies ask you to sign, the less work they give you.

I wonder what is the point then of making translators sign tons of Agreements if no work is to come anyway.

I've signed some contracts with people very happy to have found me that haven't ever sent any work. The problem isn't not getting any work, it is getting work having signed a bad contract.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
@Tom @Korana Aug 13, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about signing these documents. They are written by the lawyers who work for the agency and have to justify their existence.

In my (quite long) experience, the more legal agreements these agencies ask you to sign, the less work they give you.

Tom: I agree with what you indicate above but consider that it may not apply with the state the Korana describes. Their implication may need to be taken much more seriously.

Korana: It is not unusual to have to sign a contract and various undertakings when registering for work with an agency. However, if you are not at ease with what is being offered, the specific context making you all the more concerned, then do not sign with this agency.

EDIT: Do not be surprised that an agency asks such documents to be signed before any offer of work. it would be odd to sign a contract after having accepted to work for them.

[Edited at 2021-08-13 10:33 GMT]

Korana Lasić
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Josephine Cassar

Korana Lasić
Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yup. I misspoke Aug 13, 2021

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Tom: I agree with what you indicate above but consider that it may not apply with the state the Korana describes. Their implication may need to be taken much more seriously.

Korana: It is not unusual to have to sign a contract and various undertakings when registering for work with an agency. However, if you are not at ease with what is being offered, the specific context making you all the more concerned, then do not sign with this agency.

EDIT: Do not be surprised that an agency asks such documents to be signed before any offer of work. it would be odd to sign a contract after having accepted to work for them.

[Edited at 2021-08-13 10:33 GMT]

They don't have an actual job for me at this point. This is all just onboarding with a potential of a job. Thanks for your input, Nikkie, it's appreciated.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
CAN vs. WILL Aug 13, 2021

Most of modern contract law isn't about what they ever really EXPECT to do much, but rather about leaving themselves a legal basis for being heavy-handed against specific malicious actors and making it difficult for said malicious actors to fight them over it

Korana Lasić wrote:

Adieu wrote:

See if they pay up or start nagging and whining.

Some agencies are scammy, but some penalty clauses surely exist solely because of the proliferation of ctrl-c-ctrl-v-submit-done MT bullsh!t artists and other clowns in our profession.

There has been no actual job yet, something Philip rightfully pointed out, and the contracts are micromanaging the freelancer and designed so the freelancer takes all the risk.

If anyone in the agency makes an error and I don't catch it before I even accept the work, they can not pay me. If I make even a minor mistake they can not pay me.

Adieu, mistakes will be made. I am an excellent, bilingual, very versatile translator, but I am not a miracle worker or infallible. If I make too many mistakes, an LSP can stop working with me, after they pay me for my time and work. Hiring a subpar translator is the risk they take. Just like I, as a freelancer, take certain risks working with a new agency. I also do not catch anything about the projects I accept from people at 8 PM my time, before I start actually working on them, which can be a couple of days later.

I understand that they aimed to protect themselves from bad translators but that must be done by offering reasonable rates, which they do, and vetting your translators with a small job, as you mentioned. Not by expecting the freelancer to take his or her own risks, the risk the agency is supposed to take and the risk the two parties should share, and all that before you even have any actual work for them.

I'd just rather not.

Thank you all for your input. I really do appreciate it.

[Edited at 2021-08-13 09:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-08-13 17:17 GMT]

Korana Lasić

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sign only if there is a job worth taking Aug 15, 2021

Telle these people you will sign these papers the moment they give you a job that justifies these documents. NDA for birthday greetings: no thanks!

Korana Lasić

Korana Lasić
Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am not exactly the CEO type Aug 15, 2021

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Telle these people you will sign these papers the moment they give you a job that justifies these documents. NDA for birthday greetings: no thanks!

According to my personality traits, I am more of a very good employee and a dream (house)wife and stay-at-home mum, raising three kids.

So having started freelancing I'm still learning to negotiate and be my own little CEO and CFO and CMO.

I've decided on the day I made the OP not to sign any more contracts on the mere potential of a job and to up my rate when the fuzzy grid will be applied. So, slowly but steadily I am coming into my own.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:30
Serbian to English
+ ...
You seem to be forgetting Aug 20, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

Korana Lasić wrote:
maybe they don't really enforce any of these, but the point is they can.

Actually, it is highly unlikely they could enforce them. IANAL but they can't enforce anything unreasonable whatever you have agreed.

Unless you've caused massive problems and with demonstrable negligence, it will not be worth their time and money coming after you. And if you have, well then you deserve it!

You seem to be forgetting that they have in fact a very simple, very efficient and dirty cheap way of "enforcing" all and any of these silly "contractual obligations" - by just doing nothing.

By just jumping on any of this long list of pretexts for not paying at all!

It's rather the translator who would be hopelessly swimming upstream if they don't fancy paying on a whim.

[Edited at 2021-08-20 18:54 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Korana Aug 21, 2021

Korana Lasić wrote:
I've now received a total of three contracts to sign. The NDA, the vendor service agreement, a guide for freelancers, that, yes, needs to be signed as well and is basically another legal contract.

Read them, then cross out any sections that you disagree with, sign in the margin, and sign the agreement at the end. Then scan/convert it to PDF again, and send it back. If they disagree with you crossing out any sections, they'll tell you, and then you can discuss it with them.

So basically, if...well..."anything at all", they can not pay me up to 100% and/or impose penalties.

Perhaps what they mean is that their fuzzy match grid applies discounts to fuzzy match categories and that the discount for 100% matches is, well, 100% (i.e. they don't pay for 100% matches, and they pay a discounted rate for fuzzy matches). This is not abnormal. Or... are you sure they're talking about penalties for delivering work with mistakes in them?

Korana Lasić
Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm sure Aug 22, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Korana Lasić wrote:
I've now received a total of three contracts to sign. The NDA, the vendor service agreement, a guide for freelancers, that, yes, needs to be signed as well and is basically another legal contract.

Read them, then cross out any sections that you disagree with, sign in the margin, and sign the agreement at the end. Then scan/convert it to PDF again, and send it back. If they disagree with you crossing out any sections, they'll tell you, and then you can discuss it with them.

So basically, if...well..."anything at all", they can not pay me up to 100% and/or impose penalties.

Perhaps what they mean is that their fuzzy match grid applies discounts to fuzzy match categories and that the discount for 100% matches is, well, 100% (i.e. they don't pay for 100% matches, and they pay a discounted rate for fuzzy matches). This is not abnormal. Or... are you sure they're talking about penalties for delivering work with mistakes in them?

And not just my mistakes. They can deduct up to 100% of my pay if I fail to spot the PMs mistakes before I accept the job. I cannot get the PM to correct their own mistakes unless I've spotted everything before I've accepted the job. I've long moved on from the agency. Just too many red flags in the three contracts they've sent to be signed. Thank you for wanting to help Samuel, I appreciate it.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
NDAs Aug 25, 2021

Sorry to appear to hijack/derail your topic, but this short clip really sums up my thoughts about NDAs and puts things into perspective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrajM-aG4tc

Korana Lasić
Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No worries Aug 27, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

Sorry to appear to hijack/derail your topic, but this short clip really sums up my thoughts about NDAs and puts things into perspective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrajM-aG4tc

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What would you advise me?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »