Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What does a decent living mean for you nowadays?
Thread poster: S_G_C
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 13:19
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's new to me too Sep 8, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
It's commonly used here in London including by non-Muslims. It is meant respectfully.

I never knew that.

I didn't know that either...

Baran Keki

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 14:19
English to Polish
+ ...
I use it myself sometimes after living and Sep 8, 2023

working a bit in Arab countries

expressisverbis
Philippe Etienne
Tom in London

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
assessment Sep 8, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

A decent living depends on so many variables that it’s impossible to say. Do you live alone or do you have a family with school-age children? Are your adult children still living with you? Do you live in the capital city or in the most rural part of your country? Is your house paid for or do you have a mortgage or a rent to pay? Are you still paying for your car if you have one? I would add also age, general health…

Yes, but we know our own situation, we know the situation in our country and can depict different szenarios.

In Northern Italy, a household with 2 children living in a rented flat or paying instalments on a loan
needs at least 4,000 euros net per month/48,000 net per year (way more in the most expensive big Italian city, Milan).
The main factors here (like in many other countries and regions I suppose) are high rents and house prices.

I see stats on the web that are very far from the real picture.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
What does a decent living mean? Sep 8, 2023

For me, it means that I can live without trouble on my earnings and still put aside let's say possibly around half of that amount for my future needs.
So no need to give any figures which can vary enormously depending on how your family is composed, where you live, on your expenses in general and that are in no way meaningful, as our situations are all completely different.

expressisverbis
yam2u

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 15:19
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Me Sep 8, 2023

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

Why don't you start by stating what figure makes or would make you feel financially comfortable, just to get the ball rolling?

As a side note, I've never considered my income in terms of net monthly earnings, but rather as annual gross income.

Net monthly earnings are the norm in my country. People don't usually talk about gross figures, we are totally interested in what we are left with after all fees and taxes are paid.

My minimum: 1,000 EUR net/month, which means 4,964.3 RON today (September 9th, 2023).
My comfort zone: double that amount.

Zea_Mays

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, yes Sep 8, 2023

Philippe Etienne wrote:

You don't look at receipts when shopping for food.
You always pay your bills, taxes, mortgage/loan and compulsory expenses in time.
You are never overdraught.
You own your own place by age 40-50.
You go to the dentist and change glasses whenever you need it.
You are confident that you will earn enough money next month to pay bills.
You can support your children for their studies far away from home.
You go on holiday and don't refrain from visiting a once-in-a-lifetime museum, event or monument.
You always fill your car with a full tank.
You live in a place where every member of the family has their own private space.
You can see the milky way by a clear night.
You will have enough to live on when you retire.
You can indulge yourself with an outing or host a get-together now and again without second thought.
You can maintain your household in acceptable condition.

Philippe

My list would be identical. Despite not meeting anything on it, ha ha.

Zea_Mays

James Salter
James Salter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Hippies say it Sep 9, 2023

I have heard New Age people/hippies saying it. For example, they pick it up after a trip to Morocco.

Baran Keki wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
It's commonly used here in London including by non-Muslims. It is meant respectfully.

I never knew that. Though I find it inconceivable that an English person would utter this word...
It's one of the words that I always avoid using when translating something from English. You never know if the client is a die hard secularist that hates everything about Islam or a supporter of the current regime. It's best to play it safe and use "hopefully" instead.

Baran Keki

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
And yet Sep 9, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
In other words, if my wife stopped working, then I would have to invoice EUR 80-95 000 per year to feel safe.

I keep hearing about Dutch translators working for peanuts (which I reckon must be 5 or 6 cents per word) and waxing lyrical about Indian agencies on the Blueboard. How many words one must translate at 6 cents to make 95k EUR a year? Maths has never been my strongest point.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Hippies! Sep 9, 2023

James Salter wrote:

I have heard New Age people/hippies saying it. For example, they pick it up after a trip to Morocco.

That hashish must draw them closer to Allah... next thing you know they'll start eating halal meat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBipA7Yksdk

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 13:19
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Living and learning... Sep 9, 2023

Matthias Brombach wrote:

We all should know by now what "London" stands for, shouldn't we, Baran?
(this is just another example of "toilet" related German humour)

[Bearbeitet am 2023-09-08 10:09 GMT]

I must say I was surprised. One shouldn't say "Have a nice day", but "Insha'Allah" is common in London.
Living and learning... but "malesh"

Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
Baran Keki

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does a decent living mean for you nowadays?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »