How do you deal when your activity has been slow for a while?
Thread poster: Carole Pinto
Carole Pinto
Carole Pinto
France
Local time: 07:56
Member (2011)
English to French
Jul 15, 2022

Dear all,

I have been a freelance translator for nearly 12 years and I have noticed that my activity has slowed down over the last few months (not just the holiday period).
Some of my clients have stopped contacting me and I don't see many relevant ads in my inbox daily.

Have you noticed anything different lately and how do you deal with this?

Many thanks and have a nice day!

Carole

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Stay calm... Jul 15, 2022

I have been translating full time for over 30 years and occasionally I have had a few slow weeks or even months. Dry spells are an intrinsic part of being a freelancer. It's a good time to fit in some marketing or CPD. Usually these dry spells are followed by a hectic period. This month I had a sluggish beginning and then unexpectedly I received a 40,000 words project…

Vladimir Pochinov
Joakim Braun
Anton Konashenok
Eric Dos Santos
Kevin Fulton
Emanuele Vacca
John Fossey

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Dry spells are a good time for marketing and CPD Jul 15, 2022

My translation business suffered a sharp decline in the wake of stricter sanctions imposed against Russia.

It's taken me three months to (more or less) recover. I increased my marketing efforts targeting direct clients. I started learning Adobe InDesign to create promotional materials for my business and to add DTP to my service offerings in the future.

Also, I am currently learning Elementor Website Builder and OutSystems low-code application development platform.

Ka Yee MECK DipTrans ACIL

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
It's over! Jul 15, 2022

Do bookkeeping, update your website, fiddle with your reference files, read novels in a source language, read magazines etc... all the while being completely convinced that you've finally been caught and your translation career is over forever.

(Some truth in that, but after 25 years of ups and downs I wouldn't worry much on a month-to-month basis. A multi-month trend is different. I'd start sending out resumés and think about career changes/repositionings.)

Worry is g
... See more
Do bookkeeping, update your website, fiddle with your reference files, read novels in a source language, read magazines etc... all the while being completely convinced that you've finally been caught and your translation career is over forever.

(Some truth in that, but after 25 years of ups and downs I wouldn't worry much on a month-to-month basis. A multi-month trend is different. I'd start sending out resumés and think about career changes/repositionings.)

Worry is good (keeps you moving), complacency is bad...
Collapse

Eric Dos Santos
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Susan Murphy Lamprecht

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Chinese to French
+ ...
Je fais autre chose Jul 15, 2022

Bonsoir,

Lorsque cela arrive, en règle générale je profite du temps mort pour mettre à jour toutes les formalités administratives, faire de la compta, vérifier si mes infos marketing sont encore correctes.
Et sinon, comme en été, je me repose, voilà.

Susan Murphy Lamprecht
Amani Harrison

Ahmed El Hosseiny
Ahmed El Hosseiny
Egypt
Local time: 08:56
English to Arabic
+ ...
Most of us suffer the same Jul 15, 2022

Current global situations adversely affect the translation market, you may stay days or even weeks without jobs. However, you have to invest your time in improving your translation skills and searching for new marketing methods to activate your business.

Josephine Cassar
Angie Garbarino
Serhan Elmacıoğlu
Kurnia Emi
Aicha GUENDOUZI
Susan Murphy Lamprecht

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:56
English to Thai
+ ...
Main strategy Jul 16, 2022

My main strategy is education for latest technology, markets, events, activities. I spend part of my time for physical fitness and health (also mental one). I participate more in this forum when I have a slow life and my mind is not much refreshing.

Meeting new prospective customers is also a good challenge.

I study new but similar languages to inspire deep logic of linguistics.

Soonthon L.

Emanuele Vacca
Éva Vajda

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jul 16, 2022

I might craft a little message to clients. Last time, in a short lull early this month, I wrote to everyone telling them about my availability this summer, and immediately work started coming in. I think some agencies has stopped contacting me because I'd been very busy with direct clients and refused a lot of work in May/June.
I do intermittently take a look at my notes to put together a website, but I'm not all that convinced I need one. And when I was a member here, I would scan the job
... See more
I might craft a little message to clients. Last time, in a short lull early this month, I wrote to everyone telling them about my availability this summer, and immediately work started coming in. I think some agencies has stopped contacting me because I'd been very busy with direct clients and refused a lot of work in May/June.
I do intermittently take a look at my notes to put together a website, but I'm not all that convinced I need one. And when I was a member here, I would scan the job offers and put in a bid or two.
I'll also take advantage to go out for longer walks with my dog, and go more often to the swimming pool, and maybe take in an art exhibition or film - it's particularly delicious to be doing such things when everyone is working. Knowing that I have worked all weekend to fit in some jobs, and will do the same again later.
When I'm bored with the extra free time, I'll embark on an ambitious sewing project, and that's when the work starts pouring in!
Collapse

Baran Keki

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Jul 16, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:
When I'm bored with the extra free time, I'll embark on an ambitious sewing project, and that's when the work starts pouring in!

My "ambitious project" is more related to translation: I have been compiling Portuguese acronyms for a few years and as soon as I open that file an email pops-up with a little surprise in it…

Lucy Leite
Renée van Bijsterveld
Éva Vajda

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:56
English to Turkish
Unpredictability Jul 16, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:

That's one of the things I hate about freelancing.

Dan Lucas
Lucy Leite
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:56
Japanese to English
+ ...
activity slow Jul 17, 2022

I work in three languages (JA, RU, ZH) so when activity in one language is slow I can shift to another.

Adieu

Panopticon
Panopticon
Spain
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
Have you tried meditating? Jul 17, 2022

Carole Pinto wrote:

Dear all,

I have been a freelance translator for nearly 12 years and I have noticed that my activity has slowed down over the last few months (not just the holiday period).
Some of my clients have stopped contacting me and I don't see many relevant ads in my inbox daily.

Have you noticed anything different lately and how do you deal with this?

Many thanks and have a nice day!

Carole

I usually find that as soon as I decide that I want an hour to myself to engage in some deep meditation my clients suddenly find work for me.

Lucy Leite
Kay Denney

Panopticon
Panopticon
Spain
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
On a more serious note Jul 17, 2022

I've been freelance translating for about as long as you and I too am noticing a bit of a lull in the past few months. Although luckily I have one customer who has lots of work to keep me busy until mid-August. But if it weren't for them....

In any other set of circumstances, I would probably have just been thankful for a bit of time to relax and maybe do a bit of exercise or something, which is the approach I've taken in the past. But the current lull is due more, I am pretty sure,
... See more
I've been freelance translating for about as long as you and I too am noticing a bit of a lull in the past few months. Although luckily I have one customer who has lots of work to keep me busy until mid-August. But if it weren't for them....

In any other set of circumstances, I would probably have just been thankful for a bit of time to relax and maybe do a bit of exercise or something, which is the approach I've taken in the past. But the current lull is due more, I am pretty sure, to the global economic slowdown being inflicted on us by central banks around the world (the US Fed, in particular) who are desperately trying to rein in inflation by killing demand. With inflation at its highest level for 40 years in the US, and with rate hikes on the cards, the economic slowdown could get a lot worse before it turns around.

You know how the saying goes: "when the US sneezes, the rest of the world catches a cold". I think we might be seeing that now.

Let's just hope it doesn't last too long. Although I'm not very optimistic to be honest, not with the war in Ukraine on top of everything else that's going on. The world is a total shambles right now on so many levels and it wouldn't surprise me if WWIII suddenly broke out.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jul 18, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

Kay Denney wrote:

That's one of the things I hate about freelancing.

I really need new clothes and I have at least 20 lengths of fabric waiting to be made up into those clothes...
I was talking with another freelancer, but in vocational training: she gets fully booked a year in advance so she knows exactly when she'll be working and how much she'll be earning. So jealous!

Baran Keki

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you deal when your activity has been slow for a while?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »