Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Oct 8, 2010

After accepting a rather urgent job (about 3000 words) from a US agency (well known I suppose) and receiving the PO I got still (from another employee) the following message (into my junk-folder):

"Apart from the contract, we are missing some more documents for our records, please send them at your earliest convenience. This way we will update your profile too:

- Registration form (FLDS- please indicate your rates in USD)- in case you have not submitted this before. Ple
... See more
After accepting a rather urgent job (about 3000 words) from a US agency (well known I suppose) and receiving the PO I got still (from another employee) the following message (into my junk-folder):

"Apart from the contract, we are missing some more documents for our records, please send them at your earliest convenience. This way we will update your profile too:

- Registration form (FLDS- please indicate your rates in USD)- in case you have not submitted this before. Please note that there are 2 different worksheets in the .xls file that must be filled in.
- Independent Contractor Agreement - our standard confidentiality agreement covering the terms and conditions for collaboration -> please send the whole document (5 pages)
- EU Data Protection Agreement - this document is required for all European vendors.
- Tax form (please choose one: W9 for US tax payers or W8 for non-US tax payers. [For W8, please fill out Part I, Part II (9a), and Part IV on W8 form.]

We would appreciate if you could fill out these forms and send them back to me asap, together with the following documents (if you have not sent this yet):
- your updated CV
- documented proof of educational background "

I had done one small job for this agency last year and got paid too.

So what do you think should I forget about this message (leave it in the junk folder) or oblige to the request?
Collapse

Sandra Emberger
Sandra Emberger
Germany
Local time: 23:09
English to German
+ ...
Ignore Oct 8, 2010

Hi Heinrich,

If I was you, I'd ignore it. When I worked for an agency in Spain, we sent out hundreds of those and actually got quite a lot of replies. However, in the end, it didn't really matter who send the suff and who did not.

Plus: Why bother after such a long time? It's only a waste of your time.

Sandra

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would inform the second person... Oct 8, 2010

...that you will take care of the formalities as soon as the job at hand is completed and when you have a minute.

I would ask whether it is OK to deliver the job and issue your invoice before filling all the forms and formalities. This paperwork is probably their standard procedure and you will surely be expected to comply with it all before you are paid, but filling up their questionnaires and documents should not keep you from doing the actual work.

It is just sad to
... See more
...that you will take care of the formalities as soon as the job at hand is completed and when you have a minute.

I would ask whether it is OK to deliver the job and issue your invoice before filling all the forms and formalities. This paperwork is probably their standard procedure and you will surely be expected to comply with it all before you are paid, but filling up their questionnaires and documents should not keep you from doing the actual work.

It is just sad to see how more and more American agencies are swamped in paperwork! I loved it 15 years ago when you could be working for an agency for a number of years without a single paper document signed!
Collapse

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not so sad Oct 8, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

It is just sad to see how more and more American agencies are swamped in paperwork! I loved it 15 years ago when you could be working for an agency for a number of years without a single paper document signed!

Maybe it's not so sad if American agencies choose to drown themselves in paperwork. US language service companies are competitors for European language service companies. Surely, every new obstacle the Americans choose to create for themselves should be a reason for us Europeans to quietly rejoice and profit.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much is too much?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »