Ivan Rorick  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:30
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
Apr 19, 2023

Hello everyone,

I have two quick questions about rather simple issues in Trados:

1) How do you configure auto-propagation so that it works on context matches when confirming a segment? (For example, if I confirm a context match of the segment string "ABC", it confirms every context match segment containing the string "ABC".) I can only get it to work on 100% matches.

2) When using filters, is it possible for it to look for exact matches? For example, is th
... See more
Hello everyone,

I have two quick questions about rather simple issues in Trados:

1) How do you configure auto-propagation so that it works on context matches when confirming a segment? (For example, if I confirm a context match of the segment string "ABC", it confirms every context match segment containing the string "ABC".) I can only get it to work on 100% matches.

2) When using filters, is it possible for it to look for exact matches? For example, is there a way to set it so that if my filter is "ABC" it would include all segments with "ABC" but exclude those with "ABCD"?

Sorry if these seem simple/basic but I only use Trados infrequently and I'm not super familiar with its intricacies, nor could I find these with searches.

Thanks,

Ivan Rorick
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:30
English to Russian
\b for word boundaries Apr 19, 2023

Ivan Rorick wrote:
is it possible for it to look for exact matches? For example, ... include "ABC" but exclude "ABCD"?
You can use a regular expression for that. Type \b before and after ABC to read as \bABC\b
Don't forget to check the 'Regular Expression' box.

If you also want to capture different forms of your word like ABCs, ABCed, ABCing along with ABC, then use this regex:
\bABC[a-z]{0,3}\b
OR
\bABC[a-z]{1,3}\b to capture different forms like ABCs, ABCed, ABCing but exclude ABC itself.

=====
[a-z]{0,3} here means that any character from a to z can be there after ABC 0 to 3 times (0 as in ABC, 1 as in ABCs, 2 as in ABCed, 3 as in ABCing).

[a-z]{1,3} means that any character from a to z can be there 1 to 3 times (1 as in ABCs, 2 as in ABCed, 3 as in ABCing).

[Edited at 2023-04-19 18:30 GMT]

Ivan Rorick

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
^...$ Apr 19, 2023

For segments that only include ABC, use ^ABC$

Stepan Konev
Ivan Rorick

Ivan Rorick
Ivan Rorick  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:30
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 19, 2023

Thanks guys, that will speed things up a lot.

I wish I could get auto-propagate to work on context matches, but being able to narrow down to exact matches as Mr. Oriard indicated so I can quickly approve them will accelerate things a fair bit.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:30
English to Russian
Example Apr 19, 2023

Ivan Rorick wrote:
I wish I could get auto-propagate to work on context matches
Can you give an example of what you want to achieve?

Probably you need to adjust these settings:

File - Options - Editor - Auto-propagation ...

[Edited at 2023-04-20 08:32 GMT]

Sebastian Witte

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two quick Trados questions

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »