Import SmartCAT XLIFF to Studio, keeping SmartCAT segmentation (w/occasional multi-sentence)
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 12, 2023

I'm working on a SmartCAT project which I actually translate in Studio 2019, mostly because I miss Studio's regexp filter. To do that, I export XLIFF from SmartCAT and import it into Studio, and then export back to SmartCAT when done. The project has a significant number of two-sentence segments. The default Studio segmentation (one sentence per segment) gets me more sentence matches. However, this is something I'm ready to sacrifice as it creates a difference in segment numbering, which prevent... See more
I'm working on a SmartCAT project which I actually translate in Studio 2019, mostly because I miss Studio's regexp filter. To do that, I export XLIFF from SmartCAT and import it into Studio, and then export back to SmartCAT when done. The project has a significant number of two-sentence segments. The default Studio segmentation (one sentence per segment) gets me more sentence matches. However, this is something I'm ready to sacrifice as it creates a difference in segment numbering, which prevents me from readily seeing the context around the filtered segments.

How do I keep SmartCAT segmentation intact when importing SmartCAT XLIFF?
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:54
English to Russian
Try paragraph-based segmentation Feb 12, 2023

In your TM settings (Project Settings - TM - Language Resources- Segmentation), select the 'Paragraph based segmentation' option. If you use more than one TM, it must be the first TM in your list. It is used for segmentation by default.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks; new or existing TM? Feb 12, 2023

Thank you Stepan!

Can this setting be changed for an existing TM or should I create a new TM for that purpose?

Stepan Konev wrote:

In your TM settings (Project Settings - TM - Language Resources- Segmentation), select the 'Paragraph based segmentation' option. If you use more than one TM, it must be the first TM in your list. It is used for segmentation by default.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:54
English to Russian
Existing TM is ok Feb 12, 2023

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
Can this setting be changed for an existing TM or should I create a new TM for that purpose?
Yes, you can, but segmentation is the first thing that Trados do with your file. It means that you have to rebuild both sdlxliff files, source and target. If you only delete the target file alone and run the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task, it won't work because the source file has already been segmented with the previous segmentation rules. You have to remove it too. To this effect, follow these steps:
1. Change the existing segmenting TM settings (top TM in the list) to paragraph based segmentation.
2. Remove the sdlxliff files from both target and source panes — you can do it by switching the country banner icon on the left-hand pane. If you first switch to the source banner and remove the file there, this action will also remove the target sdlxliff too.
3. Drag and drop the same xliff file from Smartcat into Trados and run the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task. Or use the 'Add file' command (as far as I remember it runs the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task automatically).

*Update: If you don't want to change the behaviour of your existing TM for other projects, probably you can create a blank TM for that Smartcat-dedicated project and put it at the beginning of the TM list to use it for segmentation only while using other existing TM(s) for translation matches.

[Edited at 2023-02-12 20:20 GMT]

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Stepan! Feb 13, 2023

Thank you again Stepan for your help!

Stepan Konev wrote:

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
Yes, you can, but segmentation is the first thing that Trados do with your file. It means that you have to rebuild both sdlxliff files, source and target. If you only delete the target file alone and run the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task, it won't work because the source file has already been segmented with the previous segmentation rules. You have to remove it too. To this effect, follow these steps:
1. Change the existing segmenting TM settings (top TM in the list) to paragraph based segmentation.
2. Remove the sdlxliff files from both target and source panes — you can do it by switching the country banner icon on the left-hand pane. If you first switch to the source banner and remove the file there, this action will also remove the target sdlxliff too.
3. Drag and drop the same xliff file from Smartcat into Trados and run the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task. Or use the 'Add file' command (as far as I remember it runs the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task automatically).

*Update: If you don't want to change the behaviour of your existing TM for other projects, probably you can create a blank TM for that Smartcat-dedicated project and put it at the beginning of the TM list to use it for segmentation only while using other existing TM(s) for translation matches.

[Edited at 2023-02-12 20:20 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import SmartCAT XLIFF to Studio, keeping SmartCAT segmentation (w/occasional multi-sentence)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »