Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:43
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
RE: about the insurance Jan 2, 2008

Thanks for the tips.

I'm still trying to get used to remembering to keep business related receipts. I guess I need to do it enough so that it becomes a habit.

A traditional major medical policy with a high deductible and low monthly premium payments is fine for me. With the less expensive policies, though, there's always the question of whether the insurance company will actually pay up when you really need them.

It's unclear to me whether the gesetzliche
... See more
Thanks for the tips.

I'm still trying to get used to remembering to keep business related receipts. I guess I need to do it enough so that it becomes a habit.

A traditional major medical policy with a high deductible and low monthly premium payments is fine for me. With the less expensive policies, though, there's always the question of whether the insurance company will actually pay up when you really need them.

It's unclear to me whether the gesetzliche Krankenkasse is an option for independent freelancers. Somehow I have the feeling that direct employment would be incompatible with selbstständig status. On the other hand, there's a lot I still don't know about how these things work in Germany. It's probably worth looking into.

Another issue for me turns out to be whether I've paid enough into the US Social Security program to avoid being pulled into its German counterpart. Naturally, my "parole officer" at the Kommunale Ausländerbehörde wants to be assured that I can get enough from the Social Security administration that I won't represent a burden to the German government when the time comes. Otherwise, I'll have to start paying into the German system. Won't he be surprised when Social Security goes broke just as I need to start collecting?

I'm actually living in Düsseldorf, but if I end up coming to Hamburg, I'll give you a call. Thanks for the offer.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CELTA at the Hamburg School of English

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »