A good kit to start learning Spanish??
Thread poster: Deep-one
Deep-one
Deep-one  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:11
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 16, 2006

Can someone suggest my sister a good Spanish self-study kit (beginner's level)? She s now in San-Juan, so decided to start it.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Latin American Spanish in three months (Hugo) Dec 16, 2006

This would be a good place to start, and it is fairly inexpensive (about $35, I think).

Another good option, but considerably more expensive, would be "Mastering Spanish" (Barron's). There are two parts, and I think each comes with a dozen CD's. Each part runs about a hundred bucks.

These are two programs that I used more than ten years ago and they have gone through several iterations since then. But from what I've heard and can see, they are both still very good.
... See more
This would be a good place to start, and it is fairly inexpensive (about $35, I think).

Another good option, but considerably more expensive, would be "Mastering Spanish" (Barron's). There are two parts, and I think each comes with a dozen CD's. Each part runs about a hundred bucks.

These are two programs that I used more than ten years ago and they have gone through several iterations since then. But from what I've heard and can see, they are both still very good.

Best regards,

Bob

[Edited at 2006-12-16 17:17]
Collapse

Angel Biojo
Angel Biojo
United States
Local time: 16:11
English to Spanish
Rosetta Stone Dec 16, 2006

Try Rosetta Stone at

http://www.rosettastone.com/en/?a=b

or Assimil at:

http://assimil.com/

Buena suerte,

A

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 16:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
A live human being Dec 16, 2006

I would strongly recommend that since she is in San Juan, she sign up for a (well-recommended) tutor or class rather than (or in addition to) self-study. It is usually much more motivating and authentic, and has the advantage of individual feedback.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree with Ruth Dec 18, 2006

If your sister is, for whatever reasons, unable to sign up with a tutor or formal class, how about a language exchange
  • with a native Spanish speaker who wishes to learn English, once she gets the basics?

Perhaps she could find interested parties at local universities, languages institutes, etc.

• exchange 1 hour of informal conversation in English for 1 hour of informal conversation in... See more
  • If your sister is, for whatever reasons, unable to sign up with a tutor or formal class, how about a language exchange
  • with a native Spanish speaker who wishes to learn English, once she gets the basics?

Perhaps she could find interested parties at local universities, languages institutes, etc.

• exchange 1 hour of informal conversation in English for 1 hour of informal conversation in Spanish.

Good luckCollapse

•  
    Nukles
    Nukles
    Italy
    Local time: 01:11
    English to Italian
    + ...
    ASSIMIL!!! Jan 25, 2007

I REALLY STRONGLY recommend Assimil. It's the best one! I've used it for Norwegian and Spainsh, now I using it for German too with very good results!

The pro's are that it's not hard work: you only have to read and repeat for a short time each day, nothing more, and you quickly learn the language: the point is that you learn not only the grammar, well at least you don't start from that. You learn the structures, the ways of saying, and so on. Then you get acquainted with the grammar
    ... See more
    I REALLY STRONGLY recommend Assimil. It's the best one! I've used it for Norwegian and Spainsh, now I using it for German too with very good results!

The pro's are that it's not hard work: you only have to read and repeat for a short time each day, nothing more, and you quickly learn the language: the point is that you learn not only the grammar, well at least you don't start from that. You learn the structures, the ways of saying, and so on. Then you get acquainted with the grammar too.

I suggest to buy the latest Assimil course in Spanish, published in 2005 I guess, it's simply called "Spanish". The "New Spanish With Ease" was ok too, but I didn't like the black humour inside... it was annoying...

Anyway, you'll lear the language really quickly!!

Bye and good luck!
    Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A good kit to start learning Spanish??

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
    Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »