Ancient Greek – did I start something?
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Local time: 21:19
Duits naar Engels
+ ...
Jul 30, 2010

Nearly two years ago I wrote: ...is it really necessary to have gone to school where there is a Classics teacher with Ancient Greek to...

This morning I r
... See more
Nearly two years ago I wrote: ...is it really necessary to have gone to school where there is a Classics teacher with Ancient Greek to...

This morning I read in the Daily Mail: Primaries go Greek to help teach English: 13 schools in Oxford set to bring in language lessons and in the Daily Telegraph: Ancient Greek 'to be taught in state schools'

[See also: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harrymount/100045528/ancient-greek-makes-a-welcome-return-to-state-schools/ ]

One recognizes that one needs to learn a foreign language to understand one's own (can't remember to whom that observation is accredited) ... but Ancient Greek ... !!!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lid 2007
Engels naar Portugees
+ ...
And why not? Jul 30, 2010

There are so many English words that derive from Latin and Greek (90 percent of all scientific words...). Best regards,

Teresa

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 15:19
Engels naar Russisch
+ ...
With Teresa Jul 30, 2010

After all those years I am still thankful for this Latin course at the university, no matter how much we hated it. It still helps and I am sure the same refers to ancient Greek.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Duits naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Aspiration Jul 30, 2010

Yes, I can see that learning case and the rest of Greek grammar might be useful, as would having an understanding of the origin of many English words; I'm just not so sure that aspiration or lack of it and whatever else Ancient Greek diacritics were/are used to signify doesn't/won't rather cast a detracting, mystifying (or "mistifying") haze over it all.

Electra Voulgari
Electra Voulgari  Identity Verified
Spanje
Local time: 22:19
Lid 2010
Spaans naar Grieks
+ ...
solid stuff Jul 30, 2010

(A bit of) Ancient Greek at school is all about learning how to structure sentences the good old-fashioned way.
There is nothing wrong with that!! As a teacher, I can assure you students could do with some "S-V-O" order.

Plus, they get to undestand that words like "tv", "photo", "phone" or "psycho" are not just random syllables.

And as a translator, my experience with Ancient Greek texts has helped me hundreds of times disentangle some of the messiest sen
... See more
(A bit of) Ancient Greek at school is all about learning how to structure sentences the good old-fashioned way.
There is nothing wrong with that!! As a teacher, I can assure you students could do with some "S-V-O" order.

Plus, they get to undestand that words like "tv", "photo", "phone" or "psycho" are not just random syllables.

And as a translator, my experience with Ancient Greek texts has helped me hundreds of times disentangle some of the messiest sentences, no matter what language I was translating from and into.

E
Collapse

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Nederland
Local time: 22:19
Nederlands naar Roemeens
+ ...
Totally agree Aug 1, 2010

ElectraV wrote:

And as a translator, my experience with Ancient Greek texts has helped me hundreds of times disentangle some of the messiest sentences, no matter what language I was translating from and into.

I've studied modern Greek only and it is too bad we didn't have Ancient Greek courses, it would definitely help me with the legal texts I use to translate from modern Greek. However I have some basic knowledge of Ancient Greek. I've learned something by myself. I've met at least two native English speakers, at a summer Greek Language School in Greece, who were studying Greek in order to understand English better.

As Electra mentioned, it would be very helpful for learning correct orthography and, as far as I know, native English speakers do have problems with it, as English spelling system is not the most regular one.

Furthermore, English language has very many words with (Ancient) Greek origin. The great thing about Greek is that words are built, not just invented and sometimes a non native Greek speaker/translator from Greek, could understand the meaning of a new word, by splitting it into small pieces. It is difficult to find a single word in Greek, that has no history or that can not be relied on real or mythological facts.

Just to make it clearer, I copy below

THE INFLUENCE OF THE ANCIENT GREEK WORDS ON THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
Η παρακάτω εισήγηση έγινε από τον Dr. John N. Kalaras, founder of Ariston University, στο Ξενοδοχείο ΤΙΤΑΝΙΑ στις 15/3/2000 - ANAPOLIS ATHENS-HELLAS, 15 MARCH 2000
DIALOGUE APATHY AND ECONOMY - BY DR. JOHN KALARAS

Prologue
The scope of my lecture is to generate a dynamic dialogue on organizational and economic systems and techniques. Basically, my methodology is characterized by dialogue, a systematic phenomenon with every academician or epistimologist. I will systematically analyze the idiosyngracies and the characteristics of the organizational systems practiced today. The architecture of my analysis-strategy, is systematic and pragmatic, yet paradoxically is characterized by enthusiasm and synchronization between theory and practice. The harmonic synergy of mathematical models and statistical techniques, has generated theorems and axioms practiced in capitalistic economic systems. My philosophy is logical, ethical and practical and has erected organizational models that have generated economic euphoria.
The magic esthetics of my tactic, is the plethora of Hellenic terminology in my phraseology.
The genesis of tragic economic problems generated in an economy are not symptomatic, in fact they are cyclical and periodic phenomena. Such phenomena stigmatize and traumatize the economic euphoria of the agora. Economic systems basically symbolize the philosophy and ideology of the governing political party.
The chronic and pathetic egomania and megalomania of certain governors, monarchs or tyrants, their apathy for philanthropy, their enigmatic and problematic logic, generated gigantic economic crises, which stigmatized and traumatized their political career. Such practices generate phobia, panic and periodically paralysis of the socioeconomic system.
The agora, during the archaic periods, was characterized as the physical parameters where philosophers, scholars, economists and epistimologists analyzed the problems generated by the political system. The basic methodology was dialogue or rhetoric. Dialogue, in a diametric antithesis with the monologue, has magic, it is characterized by synthesis and analysis and a plethora of other lectic schemes.

http://www.agrino.org/chicago/greek_attorneys.htm

If you don't know Greek, I can assure you that ALL above words are Greek words in fact (except modal verbs, articles, pronouns etc.). I believe that a native user of English, with no special education in English Language, would need to use a dictionary to understand many of the above words. I am not a native speaker of English, but I know Greek and I fully understand this text, with all its encrypted messages (encrypted - another one).

You should be happy that somebody had this idea and it will hopefully be implemented.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 03:19
Engels naar Thai
+ ...
Non-native English speaker Aug 1, 2010

If you don't know Greek, I can assure you that ALL above words are Greek words in fact (except modal verbs, articles, pronouns etc.). I believe that a native user of English, with no special education in English Language, would need to use a dictionary to understand many of the above words. I am not a native speaker of English, but I know Greek and I fully understand this text, with all its encrypted messages (encrypted - another one).
You should be happy that somebody had this idea and it will hopefully be implemented.

It is quite painful for us who do not use Roman alphabets in our written language e.g. Japanese, Chinese, Thai. We need to face with more hardships to master English like the native speakers by studying ancient Greek as extra subjects! (English, Latin, foreign words imported to English are already our big work load.)

Best regards,

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ancient Greek – did I start something?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »