arabic speech for introductory class.
Thread poster: greaterthanme
Apr 28, 2010

Hello or Marhaba

I am a student in a introductory 'conversational' Arabic class, we do not learn the written Arabic language, instead we are learning the very basics of how to communicate in spoken Arabic. As a final project I must give a short speech about myself.

I often have a hard time translating (on the internet) words from my teachers lessons. I suspect the root of the problem is that so many dialects of Arabic are spoken around the world, so I think it woul
... See more
Hello or Marhaba

I am a student in a introductory 'conversational' Arabic class, we do not learn the written Arabic language, instead we are learning the very basics of how to communicate in spoken Arabic. As a final project I must give a short speech about myself.

I often have a hard time translating (on the internet) words from my teachers lessons. I suspect the root of the problem is that so many dialects of Arabic are spoken around the world, so I think it would helpful to note that my teacher is a Christian Arab from Israel. She speaks Arabic, Hebrew, and English, but often argues with the Saudi student in my class over which term is most accurate or most frequently used.

Anyway I am looking for help translating the speech I would like to give, let me first type it out in English, then what I have in Arabic-English transliteration (that my teacher uses) with the words I'm missing in (). Please forgive my poor grammar in both languages. By the way, it is intended to be a bit humorous (I am not trying to offend anyone), my teacher likes to joke since we have a small class.

Hello, my name is Nate, or Nathaniel but only if you want to be formal/serious. I live in ____, which is in the United States of America, which is on the planet Earth, but maybe you already knew this. When I grow up I want to be a computer programmer. I am really good at it, I could/would explain, but it id too complicated for most of you. You (pointing to a woman), You (pointing to a man), or actually all of you (gesture to entire class). I want to learn/study the Arabic language. I want to speak Arabic very well, so that I can impress all the women. Maybe one day I will impress the right Arabic woman, and live with her family. It would be very nice to live of her Arabic family, but mostly her rich father. Thank you and good night.

Now what I have translated, to the best of my ability.

MarHaba, Ismi Nate, walla Nathaniel, bas (only if) bidkum (to be?) (formal/serious). Ana sakni ___, (which is) fi (united) (states) Ameriki, (which is) 3ala il-(planet) (earth), hatha mumkin kum (already) ta3rifu. wiinta ana (grow older) biddi aSiir mubarmij kombuter. Ana mubarmij katiir jayyid, ana (could/would) (explain), bas mubarmij kitiir mi3ağad lil (some/a portion/a few of) kum. Inti, inta, walla (actually) (all of) kum. [ana] biddi (learn)/adrus il-lugha il-3arabiyyi. [ana] biddi atkalam il-3arabi kitiir jayyid, (so that/in order to) ana (impress) (all) il-binaat/(women). mumkin yuum waHid/marra ana (will) (impress) il-(right/correct) bint/(woman) 3arabiyyi u' sakiin ma3ha 3iiliha. (it would be) kitiir (nice) sakiin 3iiliha 3arabi, bas (mostly) abuha (rich/wealthy). Shukran u' masa il-khiir.

If there is inconsistency in the transliteration, I blame my teacher. >_<

Thanks for any help provided, ahead of time.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

arabic speech for introductory class.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »