Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Just started in translating subtitles but ...
Thread poster: Salima Post
Salima Post
Salima Post
United States
Local time: 16:43
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
yes only... Jan 8, 2008

Sylvano wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:
I automatically assumed that only PMs are hired with a proven record of own translation experience.

ah-ah

... in a perfect world.

Tammy Creo
Tammy Creo  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Amazed Jan 9, 2008

Morgan, I just finished reading the postings and I cannot believe the hostility most people showed. I am sorry that you had to experience so much criticism. I understand that we have to do our homework, but if we may a mistake and try to get some contribution from colleagues, we expect responses that can be useful. There is no need to be insensitive and bitter to give some advice. I recently joined ProZ, and I also noticed that some people have an attitude of superiority that does not help anyo... See more
Morgan, I just finished reading the postings and I cannot believe the hostility most people showed. I am sorry that you had to experience so much criticism. I understand that we have to do our homework, but if we may a mistake and try to get some contribution from colleagues, we expect responses that can be useful. There is no need to be insensitive and bitter to give some advice. I recently joined ProZ, and I also noticed that some people have an attitude of superiority that does not help anyone. I also noticed that that approach was used by people with only a few years experience. They may be feeling threaten?

If you ever need any help, please contact me directly. I believe we learn by teaching, and grow by helping. And as you said “Treat others as you want to be treated”.
Collapse

Salima Post
Salima Post
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your kind words Jan 9, 2008

I appreciate your kind words. I expected some kind of criticism. I was opened to it but I will not let anyone to put me down. I asked for opinions and I got them.

After all, we all started with no experience and you learn from experience... if you don't try, how do you expect to learn? I would like to know. Plus, it is always nice to have a guiding hand.

I agreed with you, you have to study beforehan
... See more
I appreciate your kind words. I expected some kind of criticism. I was opened to it but I will not let anyone to put me down. I asked for opinions and I got them.

After all, we all started with no experience and you learn from experience... if you don't try, how do you expect to learn? I would like to know. Plus, it is always nice to have a guiding hand.

I agreed with you, you have to study beforehand but theory is one thing, practice is another.
This world is full of people who are, in my opinion, insecure thus are disdainful of others. Therefore, it is a short step for feeling threaten. We need new blood though ... but being kind and understanding don't hurt even if you think that the other person made a stupid mistake. Imagine as a mother, you are teaching things to your kids but they don’t respond well. However when you use encouragement, kindness…. they will respond well and it will last. Kindness, respect, understanding… go a long way.

Personally, I think there is enough work for all of us. And I am willing to help too in my own way.
Thank you so much for your offer and I will definetely keep in touch with you.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Just started in translating subtitles but ...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »