What is the best program to use in order to make a DVD with soft subs?
Thread poster: Dramafall
Dramafall
Dramafall
Local time: 00:27
English to Thai
Oct 18, 2007

Hi,

Does anyone know what is the best program to use in order make a DVD with soft subs??

Thanks.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-18 13:20]

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:27
French to Spanish
+ ...
We use... Oct 18, 2007

...DVD Lab Pro. I don't know if it is "the best", but it works quite fine.
For more information, see:

http://www.videohelp.com/
And
http://www.divxsubtitles.net/

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Did I get it correctly? Oct 18, 2007

I guess that by "soft subs" you mean those that are menu-selectable, that can be turned on and off, as opposed to "hard subs", that would be burnt onto the image, like VHS.

If this is correct, a good freeware option for up to three subtitle sets is AVI2DVD from http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2Dvd.html
It requires many other freeware tools.

Its subti
... See more
I guess that by "soft subs" you mean those that are menu-selectable, that can be turned on and off, as opposed to "hard subs", that would be burnt onto the image, like VHS.

If this is correct, a good freeware option for up to three subtitle sets is AVI2DVD from http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2Dvd.html
It requires many other freeware tools.

Its subtitles quality is good, the only thing I've been unable to do so far was to get the subtitles (yes, you may have them with a black border) in any other color than white.

The letter quality obtained in subtitles made with Ulead's DVD Workshop (commercial software) is quite disappointing. Apparently they are generated in lo-res. Maybe it's necessary, as they say the program can handle up to 32 different subtitle files for one film alone, which should take some disk space.

The best, neatest, sharpest, hard subs one can get AFAIK are made with VirtualDub.
Collapse

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
DivxLand Media Subtitler Oct 19, 2007

I'ts very good for making subtitles, you can save it in several formats, and the best of all: it's freeware. Combined with Virtual Dub, they're great.

Quinox (X)
Quinox (X)
Türkiye
Local time: 02:27
English to Turkish
+ ...
DVD Lab Pro Oct 19, 2007

Juan Jacob wrote:

...DVD Lab Pro. I don't know if it is "the best", but it works quite fine.
For more information, see:

http://www.videohelp.com/
And
http://www.divxsubtitles.net/

Quite useful tool. I used to use this one, too (not very much interested any more).
It gets very easy to use after the first few tries. But If you don't need pro-like menus, graphics and other details in DVD authoring you might find this a little complicated.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
DivxLand Media Subtitler x Subtitle Workshop Oct 19, 2007

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:
I'ts very good for making subtitles, you can save it in several formats, and the best of all: it's freeware. Combined with Virtual Dub, they're great.

Both are just to create the subtitle files. They don't "make" the DVD... not even the video file. However they are needed by the program that does it.

Personally, I felt Media Subtitler too adrenalin-based for my taste. That's why I prefer Subtitle Workshop.

As I said on an earlier message, VirtualDub is indeed the best, but only for what I'd consider "hard subs" (viz. burnt onto the image).

Dramafall
Dramafall
English to Thai
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your replies.. Oct 19, 2007

Hi, thank you all for your replies, its very much appreciated.

I used to use media subtitler and subtitle workshop. And I do agree they work very well when doing hard subs.

But now I want to learn how to do soft subs where u can turn the subtitles on and off on when u play it on a DVD player.

What I really want right now is to find a program, that will do all the job to make a professional enough looking DVD with the option of subtitles.

Also,
... See more
Hi, thank you all for your replies, its very much appreciated.

I used to use media subtitler and subtitle workshop. And I do agree they work very well when doing hard subs.

But now I want to learn how to do soft subs where u can turn the subtitles on and off on when u play it on a DVD player.

What I really want right now is to find a program, that will do all the job to make a professional enough looking DVD with the option of subtitles.

Also, before I've had to convert the DVD movie into AVI before I can begin subtitling. Is there any program that will let me caption and time while still in DVD format, and then somehow can encode the subs onto the DVD?

Does anyone know any good program that is fast a easy to use?

I know it may be asking for quite alot, but it's worth a try

Program doesnt have to be freeware or cheap, just would like to know about any programs there is out there.

Thank you
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I told you already Oct 19, 2007

Dramafall wrote:
Does anyone know any good program that is fast a easy to use?
Program doesnt have to be freeware or cheap, just would like to know about any programs there is out there.
Thank you

AVI2DVD from http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2Dvd.html
and it IS free!

You'll have to read the instructions, download and install all the other required programs. You'll never have to use them directly - AVI2DVD is a very user-friendly interface that manages the whole process hands-off.

Dramafall
Dramafall
English to Thai
TOPIC STARTER
AVI2DVD Oct 19, 2007

Hi, yes, I have tried AVI2DVD already.. maybe i am still new to it,, but it seems the subtitles come out in white. with media subtitler I could change the colours and font.

And also, the process takes soooo long.. it took over an hour just to do a 6 mins video.

Maybe i will need to play around abit more...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best program to use in order to make a DVD with soft subs?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »