Frode Aleksandersen
Frode Aleksandersen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 18:33
Member (2007)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
subtitle requirements Jul 5, 2007

You can't just increase the duration though - the subtitles need to be synched to the dialog. I also doubt French people read text slower than northern Europeans, or Americans as the DVDs in question were made for. For something like subtitles as long as the text is relatively easy to read as most dialog is, you can pretty much just show it in time to the dialog and the human brain will adjust. Even a typically slow reader will read subtitles faster because of the way they're presented, and this... See more
You can't just increase the duration though - the subtitles need to be synched to the dialog. I also doubt French people read text slower than northern Europeans, or Americans as the DVDs in question were made for. For something like subtitles as long as the text is relatively easy to read as most dialog is, you can pretty much just show it in time to the dialog and the human brain will adjust. Even a typically slow reader will read subtitles faster because of the way they're presented, and this has been used to good effect in software aimed at teaching increased speed for instance.

My point though is that you can't just make specific blanket statements about things like reading speed and subtitle timing. Different companies have different requirements as far as lead in, lead out, subtitle duration, whether to have a blinking interval between the subs or not, line length and so on. They can also vary depending on project and target format, with broadcasting ones generally being more restrictive than the others.
Collapse

GabLuz
GabLuz
Local time: 13:33
English to Portuguese
... Jul 17, 2007

Well, Mr. José, you're right.

I usually open my video through Media Subtiler, open an empty txt file and start translating it. It's easy for me.
MS is used for personal subtitling like fansubbing projects and WS is used by professional people like you by the way I see it.

Heloísa Ferdinandt
Heloísa Ferdinandt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Horse Jul 26, 2007

GabLuz wrote:

Well, Mr. José, you're right.

I usually open my video through Media Subtiler, open an empty txt file and start translating it. It's easy for me.
MS is used for personal subtitling like fansubbing projects and WS is used by professional people like you by the way I see it.

Have you ever heard of Horse? It is very good for translating and timecoding subtitles.
http://www.mat.puc-rio.br/~jufreire/horse/
(The program is in English, but you need to know Portuguese to read the page and follow the links.)
By the way, the Brazilian developer is very accessible and helpful.
Cheers,
Heloisa

GabLuz
GabLuz
Local time: 13:33
English to Portuguese
Hm... I don't think this is a good idea Aug 14, 2007

But I think her software is not going further due to lack of features. I hope she changes it in a near future.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Information about subtitling

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »