Thread poster: inger nordhagen
fionainrome
fionainrome
Italy
Local time: 16:03
Italian to English
I can't believe this! Dec 6, 2007

No, I said "translating".
Couldn't immagine anybody doing the whole caboodle for 3€/minute. I yet to hear of an agency offering such a low rate, and if anybody is willing to accept it, they really couldn't make a living on that.
That's why I assumed it was translating only, and even that is on the very low side.
[/quote]

I earn 2.06 Euro net per minute (translating from Italian to English and vice versa. No time cueing, just translating feature films and crappy
... See more
No, I said "translating".
Couldn't immagine anybody doing the whole caboodle for 3€/minute. I yet to hear of an agency offering such a low rate, and if anybody is willing to accept it, they really couldn't make a living on that.
That's why I assumed it was translating only, and even that is on the very low side.
[/quote]

I earn 2.06 Euro net per minute (translating from Italian to English and vice versa. No time cueing, just translating feature films and crappy soap operas) and up till now I thought it wasn't too bad at all. I mean, I basically work no more than two and a half days a week and I earn about 1.250 euros net per month (working part time). I don't know about other countries, but unfortunately many people here in Italy don't get paid that much for a 9 to 5 (more like 9 to 7) job.
Now, I know salaries are higher in the UK and now I guess in France too, but if I got paid 5 euros per minute (you all say it should be the minumum rate) I would be making up to 3000 euros net per month for a part time job and I think that would be considered a LOT anywhere!!! What I don't get here is, why are so many of you complaining that the rates are low when I imagine this is what you are earning? Am I missing something here? Afer all I live in one of the most expensive cities in Europe so it's not that I don't know about the cost of life etc.
Another question I have is, do you think it would be possible to work for a British agency from Rome via internet? I had a Swedish friend who did that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Ta!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

prices subtitling

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »