Is there a way to change font details in SRT file for Youtube videos?
Thread poster: Amy_Lee
Amy_Lee
Amy_Lee
Malaysia
Sep 8, 2023

Hi. I'm trying to upload my videos to Youtube and change the SRT Subtitle font details like the font name, size
and color. Since Youtube no longer supports CSS/HTML, is there any other way to change the font details, without resorting to a burn-in method?

Thanks in advance.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:51
English to Russian
SRT Sep 8, 2023

SRT files do not contain fonts or any information about fonts. You always set your desired font in your video player or when you burn-in your subtitles. The srt file itself is just a plain text file.
You can change the font of your video subtitles by clicking the gear icon - Subtitles - Options (or maybe Settings, I don't have it in English). Before you change those settings, play your video until you can see subs on the screen, then pause
... See more
SRT files do not contain fonts or any information about fonts. You always set your desired font in your video player or when you burn-in your subtitles. The srt file itself is just a plain text file.
You can change the font of your video subtitles by clicking the gear icon - Subtitles - Options (or maybe Settings, I don't have it in English). Before you change those settings, play your video until you can see subs on the screen, then pause the video.

[Edited at 2023-09-08 23:11 GMT]
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Zea_Mays
Kristopher Brame

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Styling Sep 9, 2023

What Stepan said. ☝️

You need to use something like WebVTT or SSA/ASS to style your subtitles. But I don't know if YouTube would reflect your customizations in their video player.

[Edited at 2023-09-09 06:29 GMT]

Kristopher Brame

Amy_Lee
Amy_Lee
Malaysia
TOPIC STARTER
Not as a user, but as a video creator Sep 9, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

You can change the font of your video subtitles by clicking the gear icon - Subtitles - Options (or maybe Settings, I don't have it in English). Before you change those settings, play your video until you can see subs on the screen, then pause the video.

[Edited at 2023-09-08 23:11 GMT]

As a user, yes, I know we can change the font and whatnot, but I was asking as a video Creator. But thanks for your input anyway.

Amy_Lee
Amy_Lee
Malaysia
TOPIC STARTER
Not working Sep 9, 2023

Mr. Satan wrote:

What Stepan said. ☝️

You need to use something like WebVTT or SSA/ASS to style your subtitles. But I don't know if YouTube would reflect your customizations in their video player.

[Edited at 2023-09-09 06:29 GMT]

Besides SRT, i've tried VTT, ASSA and SSA as well, using Notepad, Notepad++ and Subtitle Edit. Nothing works.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Styling 2: Electric Boogaloo Sep 10, 2023

I just looked it up. It appears that SSA/ASS format is not supported by YouTube. So this option is out of the question. They do support WebVTT, but the styling is limited to bold, italic, and underline. TTML and all TV broadcasting formats seem to be supported with full styling capabilities. You might want to try those out.

You can't do advanced styling with SRT no matter what. It's simply the limitations of this subtitle format. I'm aware there are some hacks to make it work. But A
... See more
I just looked it up. It appears that SSA/ASS format is not supported by YouTube. So this option is out of the question. They do support WebVTT, but the styling is limited to bold, italic, and underline. TTML and all TV broadcasting formats seem to be supported with full styling capabilities. You might want to try those out.

You can't do advanced styling with SRT no matter what. It's simply the limitations of this subtitle format. I'm aware there are some hacks to make it work. But AFAIK, they are unreliable. Not all media players will display the customizations, and those that do may not render the subtitles properly.

Sauces:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734698?hl=en
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/353324-Change-the-font-size-of-srt-subtitle-files#post2313280

[Edited at 2023-09-10 03:54 GMT]
Collapse

Kristopher Brame

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to change font details in SRT file for Youtube videos?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »