Courses to learn how to prepare subtitles for the hard of hearing
Thread poster: simona dachille
simona dachille
simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:45
Italian to English
Mar 27, 2008

Does anyone know of a course where one can learn how to prepare subtitles for the hard of hearing in London?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-03-27 20:23]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 22:45
Dutch to English
+ ...
Search the Web Mar 27, 2008

Try searching the web under "closed captioning".

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:45
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Courses? Mar 27, 2008

There may be video translation courses:
- for lip-sync dubbing - the technique to create a script in another language, which will make it possible for an artist (dubber) to say the text in a way to create an illusion that will look like the actor on the screen is actually doing it.
- for subtitling - the technique to summarize and format subtitles so the spectator will read and know what's being said, still having some time left to watch the action.

Though I self-
... See more
There may be video translation courses:
- for lip-sync dubbing - the technique to create a script in another language, which will make it possible for an artist (dubber) to say the text in a way to create an illusion that will look like the actor on the screen is actually doing it.
- for subtitling - the technique to summarize and format subtitles so the spectator will read and know what's being said, still having some time left to watch the action.

Though I self-taught myself both, I know there are courses for both of the above.

But you are talking about closed captioning. Closed captions use the whole script, including noises, and have different formatting "rules" from subtitling. There is specific software for including them on a DVD, or even encoding them on VHS, to that some TV sets will allow turning them on or off.

So if you don't have the final script, it's a matter of transcribing and adding the noises (e.g. [car starts], [dog barking], [phone rings], etc. ). The software manual should include guidelines on how to properly format the text.

You may start your search for "closed caption" at http://www.videohelp.com .

Though there is plenty of excellent freeware for subtitling videos, I haven't found yet one for closed-captioning them. The only request for it I ever had for CC so far was for burning them on the video itself. So, instead of subtitling it with my usual yellow Trebuchet 40pt, I did it with green (seems to be the standard) Arial Narrow 30pt, because of the unabridged text.
Collapse

Gert Vercauteren
Gert Vercauteren  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 06:45
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Audiovisual Translation Course at Roehampton University Mar 27, 2008

Hello Simona,

I know that Roehampton Univerity offers a Postgraduate Degree in Audiovisual Translation. It has some compulsory general classes, but also has options such as subtitling for the deaf and hard of hearing.

You can find more information on their website: http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/pg/avt/index.html

Hope this is of any help to you!

... See more
Hello Simona,

I know that Roehampton Univerity offers a Postgraduate Degree in Audiovisual Translation. It has some compulsory general classes, but also has options such as subtitling for the deaf and hard of hearing.

You can find more information on their website: http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/pg/avt/index.html

Hope this is of any help to you!

Kind regards,

Gert
Collapse

briski
briski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to French
+ ...
Roehampton and City Mar 27, 2008

Hi Simona,

I do agree with what Gert suggested.

I have attended a course in Italy with a few teachers for Roehampton and the only thing that I can say is that they are really good teachers. They are really passionate about the argument.

There is also the City University doing subtitling courses. I don't know if they also include subtitling for hard of hearing, maybe you might write them an e-mail for a detai
... See more
Hi Simona,

I do agree with what Gert suggested.

I have attended a course in Italy with a few teachers for Roehampton and the only thing that I can say is that they are really good teachers. They are really passionate about the argument.

There is also the City University doing subtitling courses. I don't know if they also include subtitling for hard of hearing, maybe you might write them an e-mail for a detailled program.
Have a look here:
http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/courses/courses_cpd.html

The course I have attended last year was a summer school held in Bertinoro (Bologna) and organised also by Bologna University. They might be helding it this year too. It was very interesting but if you are looking for only subtitling for hard of hearing, I guess it's too general.

If you find anything interesting, please share.
Good luck!
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 06:45
English to German
+ ...
it is not in london however Mar 27, 2008

simona dachille wrote:

Does anyone know of a course where one can learn how to prepare subtitles for the hard of hearing in London?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-03-27 20:23]
from a virtual university, I could send you a copy .ppt file that describes the processes involved in subtitling using some specific tools. Contact me on [email protected] or via profile page. Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Courses to learn how to prepare subtitles for the hard of hearing

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »