Thread poster: I_CH
I_CH
I_CH  Identity Verified

Local time: 22:34
German to Italian
+ ...
Feb 18, 2010

Hello

I am currently learning Modern Greek with book written in French and German and I would like to OCR some pages of them in order to collect info about similar topics (e.g. verb tables, examples of translation etc.).

I wonder if somebody can suggest me a good OCR software that can handle both the Latin and the modern Greek alphabets without requiring too much "retouching".

Kind Regards
Alberto

Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Abbyy Finereader Feb 18, 2010

Hi alberto,
you could find Abbyy Finereader. I have the 9.0 version and it works very good.
Below you can find the link about the languages it recognizes:

http://finereader.abbyy.com/recognition_languages

Hope it can be useful.

Silvia

NetLynx
NetLynx  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Extended question Feb 18, 2010

Unfortunately, the link has no indication of recognition of Ancient Greek characters (same letters as modern Greek, with a lot of diacritics added).

For the ease of at least one colleague, he and I would like to know if there exists any OCR that can manage Classical Greek as well.

TIA

Greek OCR Online Sep 8, 2014

Hi Alberto and others,

just stumbled across this thread Maybe you already have found the perfect solution for your problem but anyway another good possibility here: https://www.ocrgeek.com/ I am using this service a lot for my work. The advantage is that it performs the entire operation online and allows you to submit several pages at
... See more
Hi Alberto and others,

just stumbled across this thread Maybe you already have found the perfect solution for your problem but anyway another good possibility here: https://www.ocrgeek.com/ I am using this service a lot for my work. The advantage is that it performs the entire operation online and allows you to submit several pages at a time. The OCR Engine in us is most probably the so-called Tesseract Engine (as far as I know) which is developed by Google and gives good results... Furthermore it does also support the Classical Greek...

Hope that helps

[Edited at 2014-09-08 11:05 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OCR for text in Latin and Greek characters

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »