Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:47
English to Hebrew
+ ...
KeePass Nov 14, 2007

http://keepass.info/

Small and great program. has a portable version so you can keep all your password on a USB flasg drive and carry it around.
Has a lot of features, all of them of course are listed at the site.

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 10:47
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Nov 15, 2007

Thank you very much for all your invaluable ideas - electronic and manual management for multiple passwords - fellow translators.

As for myself, so far I always use manual method. However, the electronic method is worth consideration.

Unlike what people generally use for their passwords, I use strange phrases I and my younger brother used to say to express our anger or annoyance during our childhood. The phrases are extremely strange and meaningless in Indonesian and m
... See more
Thank you very much for all your invaluable ideas - electronic and manual management for multiple passwords - fellow translators.

As for myself, so far I always use manual method. However, the electronic method is worth consideration.

Unlike what people generally use for their passwords, I use strange phrases I and my younger brother used to say to express our anger or annoyance during our childhood. The phrases are extremely strange and meaningless in Indonesian and maybe in other languages, too.:grin:

Other ideas are kindly welcome.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Now for the ProZwiki page... Nov 15, 2007

Okay, so let's summarise this thread. I've written the following, for the ProZwiki. Please add anything you'd like to add or suggest changes.

===========================================

Remembering all your passwords

Translators have to remember passwords for a variety of online services, and it is not always wise to use the same password for all sites. In fact, some sites may require stronger passwords than the one you normally use. In time some of you
... See more
Okay, so let's summarise this thread. I've written the following, for the ProZwiki. Please add anything you'd like to add or suggest changes.

Remembering all your passwords

Translators have to remember passwords for a variety of online services, and it is not always wise to use the same password for all sites. In fact, some sites may require stronger passwords than the one you normally use. In time some of your passwords may also become known if the site where you registered, send password reminders in clear text. But not only passwords but other details such as usernames and login URLs need to be remembered. What is the best way to remember all of these details?

= Programs that remember passwords =

* Roboform http://www.roboform.com/

Roboform is a standalone password manager. Not only does it remember all your login names and passwords, but it can fill online forms for you as well. There is also a USB flash drive version. The free version can remember up to 10 passwords. The paid version is USD 30 (+ USD 20 for the flash drive version).

* Darn! Passwords http://www.darnpasswords.com/

30-day trial version. USD 15 or USD 25 depending on version bought.

* KeePass http://keepass.info/

Opensource, and there is a portable version too. Runs on Windows, Linux, Mac, Symbian, Blackberry, PocketPC etc.

* Symantec's Norton Internet Security has an integrated password manager

* Web browsers

Most web browsers have built-in password managing services, these days. Some web browsers are portable and can be kept on a USB flash drive. You can store your passwords in the password manager of such a portable browser. Both Firefox and Opera have portable versions.

= Write them down =

The simplest and one of the most secure method of remembering passwords, is to write them down on paper. Keep all your passwords and other user information in a little notebook and keep the notebook in a secure location. You can also use various tricks to confuse anyone who might steal the notebook, but be careful -- what may seem clever to use, may be obvious to the thief.

You can also keep the passwords in a plain text file on a USB flash drive, and for added security, zip the file and give it a password that you're certain you'll never forget.

Another writing down method is to create a page (a printout, perhaps) that contains no passwords, but only clues about the passwords which hopefully no-one might be able to figure unless they know you and your group of acquaintences well. Yet another way to remember passwords is to write clues in multiple languages.

= Ask for it =

Most sites or services that require passwords have a function for retrieving the password. Some will simply send the password via e-mail, whereas others will display the password after you've answered a few questions about yourself. In some cases, a new random password is generated and you have to change the password when you log in again.

= Have a naming scheme system =

One method to make sure you don't forget passwords, is to use the same root password plus certain letters or clues about the service you're registering for. Change the password every month or so, and visit all the sites where you have passwords, to change the passwords there. If you forget to update a password, you can always try the old passwords. For example, if your root password is "money" (a very bad password, by the way), and you register a proz.com account, your password could be pr_money_om or prmoneyom.

= Password creation strategies =

A secure password is one with at least 6 to 8 characters containing letters, numbers and "special" characters that do not contain a dictionary word or a common proper name. Difficult? Yes, but you can fake it by taking a favourite phrase and encoding it. For example, take "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog". The first letter of each word is T Q B F J O T L D. Now take every second letter and turn it into a number -- for example, take the number that is above it on the keyboard. Now you have T 1 B 4 J 9 T 9 D. Next, write the letters altenately uppercase and lower case. Now you have T 1 b 4 J 9 t 9 D. To add the final flourish, change one of the characters into a special character... that "1" can be replaced with a pipe character, "|" for example. And for good measure, add a special character like "@" to the end of the password. The final password is T|b4J9t9D@, and it is easy to remember.

= Questions to answer: =

* How safe is Windows' builtin password manager?
* How to write easy to remember but hard to guess passwords?
* What are the most common easy to guess passwords?

Collapse

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
Put them down and lock them up. Nov 15, 2007

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

I also write my passwords down and keep them in a safe place. I somehow don't think a thief or burglar entering my house would be looking for an old notebook or diary!

Agreed. I also manage some websites myself. And it involves lots of accounts. For important accounts, I suggest you to use very strong passwords, which means, lowercase and upercase letters, numbers, symbols, eight digit longs combination. Of course, such strong passwords are hard to remember. But you don't have to, if you're the only person to access your computer, you can use "Remember Me" for many applications. Put them down and lock them up usually works well.

Haiyang Ai
Chinese Translator
Web site: www.chineservice.com

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 05:47
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Very nice topic... Aug 9, 2008

and very interesting ideas! It is nice to notice how people think and see passwords so differently.

I have my own "scheme" or strategy, which is in fact quite obvious: I simply memorize my passwords. How is that possible?

- I use very few passwords ( I don't think I would be able to memorize 50 passwords!)
- I distinguish between sensitive and trivial passwords/services.
- for trivial services (like access to a entertainment website which does not archive im
... See more
and very interesting ideas! It is nice to notice how people think and see passwords so differently.

I have my own "scheme" or strategy, which is in fact quite obvious: I simply memorize my passwords. How is that possible?

- I use very few passwords ( I don't think I would be able to memorize 50 passwords!)
- I distinguish between sensitive and trivial passwords/services.
- for trivial services (like access to a entertainment website which does not archive important info about me and whose data loss would not bother me much) I use the *same password*, which is a mixture of numbers, letters, high and low caps - a string with no sense.
- for the sensible stuff (banking, access to company servers from contractors, ebay, etc.) I use each a different password, all of them also following the same rules above

that ends up with no more than 10 passwords...

works good for me!

cheers
marcos
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An Effective Way to Handle Multiple Passwords

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »