US Government Shutdown
Thread poster: Baran Keki
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:43
English to Turkish
Jan 21, 2019

I wonder if anybody is having payment issues with US translation agencies due to government shutdown.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:43
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Shouldn't affect it Jan 21, 2019

While the shutdown might have some effect on matters like Americans taking out new government-backed loans, it should not have any effect on payments, which are entirely managed by the private sector.

Yolanda Broad

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Yes, it does Jan 21, 2019

I am interpreting in federal courts and I have been warned that the payment will be delayed.

Yolanda Broad

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Public vs private clients Jan 21, 2019

I was thinking about the OP's question about payment from US translation agencies. Of course, if your client is the government it would be concerning.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
if the agency has a contract with the US government Jan 21, 2019

John Fossey wrote:

I was thinking about the OP's question about payment from US translation agencies. Of course, if your client is the government it would be concerning.

If the agency has a contract with the US govt. payment may be impacted. However, the ramifications of the shutdown are much larger than it is acknowledged.

[Edited at 2019-01-21 21:08 GMT]

Baran Keki
Yolanda Broad

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
My situation Jan 21, 2019

In my case, the translation agency is unable to pay me because they can't get paid by their client, which happens to be a government agency.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Yolanda Broad

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
No title Jan 22, 2019

Baran Keki wrote:

In my case, the translation agency is unable to pay me because they can't get paid by their client, which happens to be a government agency.

You deserve to be paid on time whether your client can get paid by their clients on time or not.

Their being paid by their clients is not a precondition for them to pay you.

John Fossey
Baran Keki
Michele Fauble
MollyRose
Robert Rietvelt
Marie_D
IrinaN

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
Blog post on this topic Jan 23, 2019

Baran Keki wrote:

I wonder if anybody is having payment issues with US translation agencies due to government shutdown.

Hi Baran,

I saw your post and wondered the same thing, so turned it into a blog post at ProZ.com. I hope others are able to contribute to your discussion here.

https://go.proz.com/blog/how-are-freelancers-impacted-by-the-united-states-government-shutdown

Mike

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Jan 23, 2019

Mike Donlin wrote:

Hi Baran,

I saw your post and wondered the same thing, so turned it into a blog post at ProZ.com. I hope others are able to contribute to your discussion here.

https://go.proz.com/blog/how-are-freelancers-impacted-by-the-united-states-government-shutdown

Mike

Thanks Mike.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 18:43
English to Russian
+ ...
As long as you are sure that this is indeed a government client Jan 23, 2019

Hi Baran,

Have you worked with them before?

If so, and you are sure about the origin of the job, you may indeed experience a delay but no worries - no agency subcontracted by the US government would ever dare to stiff its vendors. Which, on the other hand, is a guarantee for them that they will get paid eventually and should be able to fulfill their obligations to you. Government contracts come with nice advances and the agency should be fairly sizeable if not in staff,
... See more
Hi Baran,

Have you worked with them before?

If so, and you are sure about the origin of the job, you may indeed experience a delay but no worries - no agency subcontracted by the US government would ever dare to stiff its vendors. Which, on the other hand, is a guarantee for them that they will get paid eventually and should be able to fulfill their obligations to you. Government contracts come with nice advances and the agency should be fairly sizeable if not in staff, then in projects and portfolio so their excuse sounds pretty lame for a government subcontractor.

The ripple effect is quite wide indeed; for example, in just 2 weeks I may end up with a temp badge instead of one of my permanent ones which is about to expire, and keep receiving daily paper badges until the shutdown ends plus a few days.

On the other hand, it's getting increasingly hard to outsource government-funded jobs to non-US citizens residing abroad. In fact, to the best of my knowledge it is nearly impossible nowadays. All private government subcontractors are obligated to provide a list of their vendors to the hiring government agency and explain why they couldn't find anyone inside the US borders. Regardless of the qualifications, which in your case seem to be nothing short of perfect.

Let's hope that this is not a newly invented excuse for certain US agencies.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Kevin Fulton

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US Government Shutdown

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »