Fees for technical vs. literary translations
Thread poster: Carlotta Boyd
Carlotta Boyd
Carlotta Boyd  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:31
Italian to English
Oct 10, 2002

I\'m wondering how close the fees for literary translations track those for technical translations. Are literary translations typically paid less per word?

I\'d really appreciate any input on this subject.

Thanks.

Carlotta

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 08:31
English to Italian
+ ...
unfortunately they are Oct 10, 2002

but they should not. At least in my experience, when I lived in Italy. I have not translated literary texts here in Canada.

paola l m

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 20:31
English
+ ...
Far less in France... Oct 11, 2002

on the grounds that literary translations are supposed to reap royalties later (they do for crime thrillers and best sellers, but little else -- attacked by a journalist for paying translators $7 per sonnet of Shakespeare, one French publisher replied \"But it\'s an honor to translate Shakespeare!\").There is a grey area for ad agencies that cross the line into publishing but they usually manage to pay agency rates.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fees for technical vs. literary translations

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »