Translation Agency Recommendations in New York
Initiator des Themas: Yaron Dahan
Yaron Dahan
Yaron Dahan
Local time: 20:22
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...
Sep 8, 2005

Okay, I know you can't post this on the forum, but if anyone has any recommendations of agencies in New York, I'd like to hear it. So can you e-mail me direct to: [email protected]. (It's easier than me going through the entire yellow pages ang calling each one, which is what i'll have to do without recommendations). Any advice/help is appreciated.

Alejandra Villarroel
Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:22
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
Directory and Blue Boad Sep 9, 2005

You can always search for US agencies in the Directory, and then check their BB.
A bit of work won't hurt you
ALEJANDRA

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 13:22
Englisch > Niederländisch
+ ...
Going through the Yellow Pages Sep 9, 2005

isn't such a bad idea. A couple of years ago, when I was the proud owner of a brand new Kaypro Computer (two 5 1/4 inch floppies, 64K RAM ... $2,500 (!) (although that included a daisy wheel printer), I wrote a letter to every agency in the New York Yellow Pages. Now, 20+ years later, I still get work through those letters (people move to other agencies, take their contacts with them, agencies get taken over).

As a previous poster said: a little bit of work won't hurt you.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spanien
Local time: 19:22
Mitglied
Niederländisch > Englisch
+ ...
Useful information Sep 9, 2005

Alejandra Villarroel wrote:

A bit of work won't hurt you
ALEJANDRA

Also, if you do your own research you will find out things which may be of interest to you.

Elena Pavan
Elena Pavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:22
Mitglied (2005)
Französisch > Italienisch
+ ...
That is what we all did!!! Sep 9, 2005

At least, that is what I did at the beginnin. And what I still do from time to time, to contact new agencies.
I know it's boring but it's part of our job. You cannot expect other people to do the work for you!!!!
Good luck

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexiko
Local time: 11:22
Spanisch > Englisch
+ ...
Be On the Top Sep 9, 2005

If someone else recommends an agency they are happy with, it means they get work from that agency. And that means they're ahead of you in the queue of freelancers whom the agency contacts when they have work. You have a better chance of being the agency's translator of choice in your language pair and area if you discovered them yourself. Ideally you want to be on the top of the agency's current list for translators in your language and specialization. That's why it's worth doing the contact wor... See more
If someone else recommends an agency they are happy with, it means they get work from that agency. And that means they're ahead of you in the queue of freelancers whom the agency contacts when they have work. You have a better chance of being the agency's translator of choice in your language pair and area if you discovered them yourself. Ideally you want to be on the top of the agency's current list for translators in your language and specialization. That's why it's worth doing the contact work yourself.

[Edited at 2005-09-09 23:47]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Agency Recommendations in New York

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »