How to establish myself as a in-house translator?
Thread poster: Carlos Barros
Carlos Barros
Carlos Barros  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 24, 2022

Hi my name is Carlos, I am a English-Portuguese (EU) translator with almost 5 years of experience with translation agencies and private clients (freelance), I have been previously a PRO member but I do not have the status because don't pay my Proz quotas anymore. Currently I work for another company for another function but I am looking to return to translation as an in-house translator and i don't mind working nearshore, but I would like to work remote. This is not an ad, I would just like to a... See more
Hi my name is Carlos, I am a English-Portuguese (EU) translator with almost 5 years of experience with translation agencies and private clients (freelance), I have been previously a PRO member but I do not have the status because don't pay my Proz quotas anymore. Currently I work for another company for another function but I am looking to return to translation as an in-house translator and i don't mind working nearshore, but I would like to work remote. This is not an ad, I would just like to ask if I publicize myself as available sending e-mails if I could get a job as a in-house remote translator. I know I earn a bit less for being "hired" but I'd rather prefer. I am thinking following the traditional route sending CVs and motivation letters to companies. How do I establish myself as a in-house remote translator?

Kind regards,

Carlos
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:21
Japanese to English
+ ...
In-house translator Oct 24, 2022

Based on what I have heard from colleagues who have gone from free-lance to in-house, they earn much less than when they are working free-lance. An hourly wage rather than a "piece-work" wage. I would rather earn $3,000 a week working on a large project (not unusual) rather than get paid $15 an hour for a forty-hour week.

Jorge Payan
Radmila Sobacic

Carlos Barros
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was asking regarding how to become in-house Oct 24, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

Based on what I have heard from colleagues who have gone from free-lance to in-house, they earn much less than when they are working free-lance. An hourly wage rather than a "piece-work" wage. I would rather earn $3,000 a week working on a large project (not unusual) rather than get paid $15 an hour for a forty-hour week.

I understand it is less well paid I am just asking for the best method to become in-house, do I send CVs? Is that what I am asking.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:21
French to English
. Oct 24, 2022

I got my job as an in-house translator by responding to an ad posted by an agency.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I suppose so Oct 24, 2022

Carlos Barros wrote:
I am just asking for the best method to become in-house, do I send CVs?

I imagine there are two ways of doing it: responding to an advertisement, and sending your CV to the relevant people. It can't hurt to do both. This means doing a bit of research on every company that you're trying to get a job at, and making sure you're sending the CV to the most appropriate person (e.g. a department head or the personnel officer). I believe some people even approach senior executives of companies, although I'm not sure if such people forward received CVs to their personnel departments or send it to the round file.

If you do respond to an advertisement, you might be called upon to do a test translation (for free, obviously). My first in-house job went like that: I responded to an advert, and I made sure to tell them that I'm willing to visit them in their city at my own cost for a test. They then arranged for a test at a branch in my home city, but I had to go for an interview in their city. Then I got the job.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Carlos Oct 25, 2022

I’ve seen here on Proz the bios of a few translators who are working remotely as project managers for agencies all over the world. Maybe they are willing to help you out. Give it a try…

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:21
Japanese to English
+ ...
in-house translator Oct 26, 2022

Now that so many people "work from home", I wonder if the term "in-house translator" is still valid. There is an agency which has a virtual headquarters in Washington, D.C. all of whose project managers, "in-house translators" and editors are scattered about South America. The regular translators are paid a pittance. You can imagine what the "in-house" translators get. These "companies" can rent a single room/office and save on overhead such as rent, heat, electricity and the like.

Carlos Barros
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am not sure about that Oct 26, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

Now that so many people "work from home", I wonder if the term "in-house translator" is still valid. There is an agency which has a virtual headquarters in Washington, D.C. all of whose project managers, "in-house translators" and editors are scattered about South America. The regular translators are paid a pittance. You can imagine what the "in-house" translators get. These "companies" can rent a single room/office and save on overhead such as rent, heat, electricity and the like.

Here in my country (Portugal), even doctors are paid a pittance, a doctor after discounts here makes 1200€ in a hospital, on the other hand I have a friend who is a translator that makes 3000€ as a freelance, I guess it kinda depends...

Michael Newton

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to establish myself as a in-house translator?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »