Thread poster: Nina Snoj
Nina Snoj
Nina Snoj
Slovenia
Spanish to Slovenian
+ ...
Oct 20, 2022

Hi everyone,

I have been established as a freelance translator in my home country for more than two decades and I am now moving to Sweden. Since I don't speak Swedish yet and have no idea how the small businesses operate there, I would be really grateful if those of you, established in Sweden, could tell me what would be the best option as far as taxes and invoicing is concerned. In my country (within EU), I had a limited liability company and was employed half time. I would love to
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have been established as a freelance translator in my home country for more than two decades and I am now moving to Sweden. Since I don't speak Swedish yet and have no idea how the small businesses operate there, I would be really grateful if those of you, established in Sweden, could tell me what would be the best option as far as taxes and invoicing is concerned. In my country (within EU), I had a limited liability company and was employed half time. I would love to know more about the monthly expenses in taxes and contributions for the minimum wage and which legal form to choose for my tiny freelance translation business. Thank you very much in advance and kind regards to Sweden,

Nina
Collapse

Christina B.
Christina B.  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:01
French to German
+ ...
enskild näringsidkare Oct 21, 2022

Hello Nina,

For a small business I would recommend the legal form "enskild näringsidkare". If you contact "skatteverket" (www.skatteverket.se) they will help you. In many towns there is a "nyföretagarcentrum", an agency that helps people (with no costs) to set up a business.

Concerning the taxes and charges you can count about 33% income tax plus about 25% social charges. This is q
... See more
Hello Nina,

For a small business I would recommend the legal form "enskild näringsidkare". If you contact "skatteverket" (www.skatteverket.se) they will help you. In many towns there is a "nyföretagarcentrum", an agency that helps people (with no costs) to set up a business.

Concerning the taxes and charges you can count about 33% income tax plus about 25% social charges. This is quite a lot but on the other hand the health insurance is already "included" and if you have children the school bus and lunch at school are tax financed as well.

Please have a look here: https://www.skatteverket.se/servicelankar/otherlanguages/inenglish/businessesandemployers/startingandrunningaswedishbusiness.4.676f4884175c97df41912ee.html

Good luck!
Christina

[Edited at 2022-10-21 11:46 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best legal form for freelance translators in Sweden

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »