Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Career change healthcare to translation
Thread poster: Emma MacNab
Ruoyi Yang
Ruoyi Yang
Australia
That's actually a refreshing experience. Jun 25, 2022

That's actually a refreshing experience.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
mughwI
mughwI
United States
Local time: 03:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
On the right path Jun 27, 2022

I would say, go for it.

Anecdotally, I have changed specialties four times, and have had the good fortune of being reasonably successful in all of them.

Also, as a reviewer, I would say that the best translators I have worked with are people with degrees and/or previous work experience in one or more of their specialties, who later became translators (YMMV).

--

Nota bene: To those who really enjoy writing super long posts, may I suggest that a
... See more
I would say, go for it.

Anecdotally, I have changed specialties four times, and have had the good fortune of being reasonably successful in all of them.

Also, as a reviewer, I would say that the best translators I have worked with are people with degrees and/or previous work experience in one or more of their specialties, who later became translators (YMMV).

--

Nota bene: To those who really enjoy writing super long posts, may I suggest that a TLDR note be added at the end? It is the polite thing to do, and will be most appreciated.
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Please stay on topic Jun 28, 2022

Hello everyone,

This is just a reminder that in line with forum rule 4, forum participants are expected to stick to the topic as introduced when responding to a topic, in this case:

Emma MacNab wrote:

I'm interested in learning from anyone else who has made the transition from the healthcare sector to becoming a language professional. How did you find it? Is it possible to do both - say work 3 days a week in healthcare (NHS is pretty flexible) and 2 days as a freelance translator? Any particular pitfalls I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Lucia

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Career change healthcare to translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »