Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:49
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
It's a problem of logistics Jun 5, 2022

S_89 wrote:
Is it your experience that financial translation is something that may be done freelance once experience is built? Or is work handled predominantly via agencies and institutions themselves?

Many financial documents are substantial, so competent project management is vital. I can only speak for my pair, but the documents being created typically go through many pairs of hands, each of which undertakes a different role.

The end client usually wants to outsource everything other than writing the text (finding translators, project preparation, translation, proofreading, DTP) to the provider. Unless you can also perform all those tasks, or think you can find and manage people who can perform them, you are unlikely to win such work.

As a translator, I imagine you'd end up dealing with agencies most of the time. I guess you might end up working directly with a large company if they prefer to handle their documents in-house and find translators themselves? Doesn't seem to be common in JA-EN, but then again I've never really tried finding direct clients.

Dan

S_89

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
My 2c Jun 6, 2022

1. Large institutions have their own in-house translators and only farm out the stuff no sane translator would want to touch. Smaller institutions will love you and treasure you if you're any good.

2. Use your contacts to get translation work direct from the banks. Forget ProZ.

3. None of my direct customers use MT or know what CAT is.

4. Get work from Germany, not the UK.

5. Charge the earth.

But before you do any of that you nee
... See more
1. Large institutions have their own in-house translators and only farm out the stuff no sane translator would want to touch. Smaller institutions will love you and treasure you if you're any good.

2. Use your contacts to get translation work direct from the banks. Forget ProZ.

3. None of my direct customers use MT or know what CAT is.

4. Get work from Germany, not the UK.

5. Charge the earth.

But before you do any of that you need to learn the mechanics of translation. It's not as simple as knowing a language and a subject.
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Baran Keki
S_89

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:49
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Close Jun 6, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:
But before you do any of that you need to learn the mechanics of translation. It's not as simple as knowing a language and a subject.

Or even two languages!

Dan

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting Started in Financial Translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »