Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is it possible to find clients exclusively online?
Thread poster: Alana Morris (X)
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:48
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Rachel Feb 28, 2022

I had the “luck” of starting to work as a freelancer very late in life after decades of employment but I still found myself ill-prepared to deal with some aspects of the translation business (negotiation and non-payment…).

Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:48
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 28, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

I had the “luck” of starting to work as a freelancer very late in life after decades of employment but I still found myself ill-prepared to deal with some aspects of the translation business (negotiation and non-payment…).

I think we are all a bit unprepared at the start - whatever background we come from, freelancing for the first time is a steep learning curve.

Fortunately, the translation community is a friendly and welcoming one and there is always someone who will be happy to answer questions and point out further sources of information for those who ask.

P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney
Anna Gorska

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Personal contact would be my priority Feb 28, 2022

I think face-to-face meetings and networking via friends/family/teachers/lecturers are the best ways to try to get work. That's where I would begin if I started again today.

I imagine the hit rate at trade fairs etc is still incredibly low, but when we were an agency we always filed unsolicited CVs in the bin. When we needed another freelance translator, we asked around. Had ProZ or LinkedIn existed, we would not have looked there.

So much about getting new clients is
... See more
I think face-to-face meetings and networking via friends/family/teachers/lecturers are the best ways to try to get work. That's where I would begin if I started again today.

I imagine the hit rate at trade fairs etc is still incredibly low, but when we were an agency we always filed unsolicited CVs in the bin. When we needed another freelance translator, we asked around. Had ProZ or LinkedIn existed, we would not have looked there.

So much about getting new clients is luck, but I think you'll have better luck if people can put a face and a voice and a personality to your name.

I too have never met some of my clients in person, but I always find I have a better relationship with those I do meet, even if we don't click personally.

So I would prioritise offline connections even in the digital age.
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:48
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Still learning Feb 28, 2022

Alana Morris wrote:

I am currently studying for a master's in translation to become a DE->EN translator.

P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to find clients exclusively online?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »