Thread poster: Miroslav Božić (X)
Miroslav Božić (X)
Miroslav Božić (X)
North Macedonia
Local time: 08:13
English to German
+ ...
Feb 14, 2022

I'm not very novice with some 8 years of experience but why is it that the society very often makes a translator's capability dependant from being sworn by a court and vice versa? Like, people give you the feeling as you aren't capable of translating just because you are not sworn. If you are sworn in another country, outside the EU, does anyone know if this work experience can be considered when starting a procedure in the EU for getting sworn in an EU country, especially in terms of providing ... See more
I'm not very novice with some 8 years of experience but why is it that the society very often makes a translator's capability dependant from being sworn by a court and vice versa? Like, people give you the feeling as you aren't capable of translating just because you are not sworn. If you are sworn in another country, outside the EU, does anyone know if this work experience can be considered when starting a procedure in the EU for getting sworn in an EU country, especially in terms of providing a proof of legal terminology knowledge?Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:13
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Miroslav Feb 16, 2022

Answering part of your question: some countries within the EU don’t have sworn translators. That’s the case of Portugal, my home country. In Belgium where I lived for 30 years translators are submitted to a stringent exam to become sworn translators. I wonder if this is the reason why some clients seem to prefer sworn translators for certain jobs…

Adieu

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 08:13
English to Polish
+ ...
well, if by society you mean offices, it is correct Feb 16, 2022

But I suppose you just vent your frustration. It is obvious that some sensitive documents are better to be translated by verified translators and not by somebody's uncle.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Easy Feb 21, 2022

They are simply using a locally respected certification instead of checking experience, references, diplomas, running tests, etc.

It's just cheaper that way.

If it is a common shortcut to check a translator's professional qualifications in your language pairs (because it sure isn't universal - I haven't even heard of such a concept in mine), then that is probably the one useful certification worth obtaining.

[Edited at 2022-02-21 12:45 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sworn vs. not sworn Translator?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »