links to footnotes went out of wack!
Thread poster: Lisbeth Benavides
Lisbeth Benavides
Lisbeth Benavides  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 2, 2003

Its this kind of fiddly thing that complicates things just when you were about to finish a huge piece of work!

Let me explain: I am doing a translation which has many references to already existing \'official\' translations. Each quote has a footnote with the source of reference. Ok- up to there I am fine... standard procedure. On this occasion, and to save time, my client has provided me with some of the existing translated quotes... which is an enormous help but ... somew
... See more
Its this kind of fiddly thing that complicates things just when you were about to finish a huge piece of work!

Let me explain: I am doing a translation which has many references to already existing \'official\' translations. Each quote has a footnote with the source of reference. Ok- up to there I am fine... standard procedure. On this occasion, and to save time, my client has provided me with some of the existing translated quotes... which is an enormous help but ... somewhere down the line one of us missed out a footnote and now I have to \'scoot\' them all down one number... and they refuse to scoot!!!

How do I go about doing this? I have tried all the ways I can think of, but the number inserted in the text invariably links up with the mistaken reference. (the one before the one it should link to).

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:36
English to German
+ ...
Automatic numbering? Apr 3, 2003

Hi Lisbeth,

I assume you\'re inserting footnotes using the appropriate function in MS Word (as opposed to manually inserting them in normal text).

That said, I suspect that somewhere the automatic numbering was broken.

First of all, make a backup copy of the document...

Go to the first \"offender\" and highlight the footnote marker (i.e. the little number in superscript that marks the footnote in copy text).

Use the comman
... See more
Hi Lisbeth,

I assume you\'re inserting footnotes using the appropriate function in MS Word (as opposed to manually inserting them in normal text).

That said, I suspect that somewhere the automatic numbering was broken.

First of all, make a backup copy of the document...

Go to the first \"offender\" and highlight the footnote marker (i.e. the little number in superscript that marks the footnote in copy text).

Use the command you would normally use to enter a footnote (Insert - Footnote - I\'m using the German Word version, so please treat any commands as approximations...). This will let you access the numbering options - numbering should be set to \"Automatic\"; there\'s an Options button that lets you define further characteristics - the footnote numbering should be set to \"continuous\" (first option).

HTH - best of luck, Ralf

PS If automatic numbering doesn\'t do the trick, maybe you can circumvent it by manually setting a \"starting value\"?

[ This Message was edited by: Lemster on 2003-04-03 00:15]
Collapse

Lisbeth Benavides
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still won't respond Apr 3, 2003

Hello Ralf,

Thanks for your prompt and very efficient reply!

Yes, I was using the automatic MS Word function to insert the footnotes and I had already done something along the lines of what you suggested. Anyhow, I followed your instructions, but it just will not respond. It keeps repeating the previous number. I have also tried to manually set the \'starting value\' -as you also very kindly recommended - but no luck either!

I thin
... See more
Hello Ralf,

Thanks for your prompt and very efficient reply!

Yes, I was using the automatic MS Word function to insert the footnotes and I had already done something along the lines of what you suggested. Anyhow, I followed your instructions, but it just will not respond. It keeps repeating the previous number. I have also tried to manually set the \'starting value\' -as you also very kindly recommended - but no luck either!

I think it might have to do with the fact that it is not always that easy to alter footnotes (or the location of the footnotes on the paper which sometimes varies in length according to the language) - especially when one is working \'ontop\' of an aready formatted document. (Esto es un arroz-con-mango com decimos aca!)

Thanks for all your help!

Lis
Collapse

Lisbeth Benavides
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solucionado! Apr 6, 2003

YA!! Solucionado! El secreto está en no tocar ni mover la numeracíón sino más bien lo que hay que reubicar es el texto.

Para futura referencia!

Gracias Ralf por tu ayuda!

Lis

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
My pleasure... Apr 6, 2003

Quote:

Gracias Ralf por tu ayuda!

Lis

...but I don\'t speak Spanish...

Lisbeth Benavides
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OOOPS! Apr 6, 2003

In English then ....! Just to say that I finally solved the problem. What one has to do in these cases it seems, is to reposition the text rather than try to alter the position of the numbers. (I am thinking now, is that what you suggested Ralph, would work if I had originally created the file - but as I was (am) working on a file created by others, I guess I have to respect the original location of footnotes.) Gracias por tu ayuda means thank you very much for your help!

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I figured as much... Apr 7, 2003

Quote:

Gracias por tu ayuda means thank you very much for your help!

That was about as much as I could grasp... my knowledge of Spanish covers the bare essentials (i.e. how to get a drink, and something to eat...). Thanks for translating it - glad it worked in the end.

Cheers, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

links to footnotes went out of wack!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »