I have just realised I could be making my own personal glossary on ProZ. Any advice?
Autor vlákna: liz askew
liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
Local time: 03:54
Člen (2007)
francouzština -> angličtina
+ ...
Aug 25, 2007

I know I can be a bit slow on the uptake with regard to technical matters, but I have just realised I could be making my own personal glossary on Proz and have failed to do so.

I have made many contributions to the Proz general glossary and was wondering whether I could transfer this to my personal glossary?

Any advice?

Thank you!

Liz Askew

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-08-26 02:36]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Španělsko
Local time: 04:54
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
You can Aug 25, 2007

liz askew wrote:
I have made many contributions to the Proz general glossary and was wondering whether I could transfer this to my personal glossary?

Create your personal glossary. Then, for points won (even though a glossary entry has already been made), click "Gloss" and save under your personal glossary.

There is a much more exhaustive template for manual entries, with fields you can ignore. However, I prefer to fill in these fields and even put references. My problem is (and this has not yet been explained to me) how to retrieve the "extra" text. I sometimes get the feeling I'm splitting hairs about sources and it doesn't count...

I'd also like to see an option for adding new language fields to a glossary. When you have three-way glossaries, for instance, you'd have to upload them twice.

liz askew
Velká Británie
Člen (2007)
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
Personal glossary Aug 25, 2007

Thank you Parrot!

I don't suppose you know how to create a personal glossary from the entries made in the general Proz glossary. Would I have to go into each entry separately in order to transfer it to my own personal glossary?

Thank you for any info.

Liz

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Španělsko
Local time: 04:54
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
The questions you ask Aug 25, 2007

liz askew wrote:
I don't suppose you know how to create a personal glossary from the entries made in the general Proz glossary. Would I have to go into each entry separately in order to transfer it to my own personal glossary?

and the questions you answer that are selected by the asker give you access to the "Gloss" button. Otherwise, you can copy terms manually.

I also personally upload terms I've had problems with and the meanings of which I've found, so that I'll be sure to find them next time they crop up. Sometimes they're just rare uses of common terms.

In the case of long glossaries saved in a TXT file, I believe (ie., it's been done before) that you can request help from the staff. The other alternative (for paper glossaries, for instance) is to enter them manually one by one.

liz askew
Velká Británie
Člen (2007)
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
Personal Glossary Aug 25, 2007

Thank you, Parrot!

I've just started to access "gloss" where I've made a contribution to make my own personal glossary..

I'll remember what you say about personally uploading terms I found - this would be very useful, as it is so easy to "forget" some terms!

Thanks for your advice!

Liz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have just realised I could be making my own personal glossary on ProZ. Any advice?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »