LaTex - scientific text processing
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Mary McCusker
Mary McCusker
Mary McCusker  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:13
Duits naar Engels
+ ...
Apr 2, 2004

I've been offered a project in the financial/economic sphere that requires a special text processor (laTex, but I believe mikTex is also acceptable) that is better able to deal with scientific formulae than Word. I would be very grateful if anyone who has used it could give me the benefit of their experience.

Stephen Boyd
Stephen Boyd
Ierland
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
Not an easy program to learn Apr 2, 2004

I used LaTeX when i was studying maths at university. It's a fun system to use if you are tech-minded (it has a somewhat cult following), but a bit of an effort to learn. Probably not worth it for a single project.

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Local time: 21:13
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
There are LaTeX editors Apr 2, 2004

Hello,

I have been working with LaTeX myself and as has been pointed out previously, it is not that easy to learn. However, the results are excellent.

To my knowledge, there are several editors for TeX/LaTeX out there that make it easy to use... the only one I am aware of at the moment is klyx for Linux. You could try to do a Google search with LaTeX and editors and see what comes up.

Good luck!

Sonja...
See more
Hello,

I have been working with LaTeX myself and as has been pointed out previously, it is not that easy to learn. However, the results are excellent.

To my knowledge, there are several editors for TeX/LaTeX out there that make it easy to use... the only one I am aware of at the moment is klyx for Linux. You could try to do a Google search with LaTeX and editors and see what comes up.

Good luck!

Sonja
Collapse

Mary McCusker
Duits naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
thanks both of you Apr 2, 2004

Thanks for your advice. I checked for LaTex and editor on google and got a bewildering 545000 hits. I can't figure out if this is freeware or not. Presumably an editor is mandatory - again would these be freeware? Obviously if a financial investment is involved I'll have to make a different decision, also re pricing.
Grateful any (more) input.

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:13
Spaans naar Engels
+ ...
No monetary investment needed Apr 2, 2004

Will you be using a CAT?

If not, in other words, if you just need a straight text editor, try Alpha if you have a Mac; or NoteTab or WinEdt if PC. No investment needed. Alpha is shareware; the basic (light) version of NoteTab (which is all you need) is free, and WinEdt offers a 1 month free trial. Any of these programs
... See more
Will you be using a CAT?

If not, in other words, if you just need a straight text editor, try Alpha if you have a Mac; or NoteTab or WinEdt if PC. No investment needed. Alpha is shareware; the basic (light) version of NoteTab (which is all you need) is free, and WinEdt offers a 1 month free trial. Any of these programs offer LaTeX add-ins that will allow you to compile the text file with a single click from within the editing program.

In any case, if you are translating the source files with a CAT, the above editors are still useful for tweaking and compiling the translated .tex files.

LaTeX may seem intimidating at first, but it's well worth learning a bit of it - you don't need to be anything near to a TeX guru to learn enough LaTeX to be able to offer it as a translation specialty. One of the best ways is to learn is by doing - get hold of a simple example and study the source and output to learn how a given command produces the result that it does.
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:13
Spaans naar Engels
+ ...
MikTeX Apr 2, 2004

MikTeX and LaTeX aren't "either/or". If you use LaTeX, MikTeX is the most common utility used to run LaTeX. Again, no financial investment needed; everything is available free.

[Edited at 2004-04-02 22:14]

Mary McCusker
Duits naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Cat/editing software in conjunction with LaTex Apr 2, 2004

Thanks for your very helpful input. I'm a Trados user, but a neophyte, and I'm simply not sure how Trados may interact with the editor, so the likelihood is that I will not use a CAT tool. If I've understood correctly, if provided with the LaTex source, I will only need an editor. btw, have you heard anything of micTex?
Thanks again

Mary McCusker
Duits naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
LaTex/mikTex Apr 2, 2004

I think our posts crossed. Now if I've understood correctly I will need mikTex, the LaTex source and an editor?
tia

Alexandru Pojoga
Alexandru Pojoga
Roemenië
Local time: 22:13
Japans naar Engels
+ ...
It's free! Apr 2, 2004

LaTeX is just a format; there are many software packages developed to handle it; I think they are all open-source.

They say LyX is a good one:

http://www.lyx.org/

Let us know how it works out (didn't need it myself so didn't download it).

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 22:13
Engels naar Russisch
A tool for Latex Jan 3, 2005

Mary McCusker wrote:
I've been offered a project in the financial/economic sphere that requires a special text processor (laTex, but I believe mikTex is also acceptable) that is better able to deal with scientific formulae than Word. I would be very grateful if anyone who has used it could give me the benefit of their experience.

Please, check http://www.proz.com/post/193811

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

LaTex - scientific text processing

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »