Japanese text in HTML (Homesite, Dreamweaver)
Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:19
English to Russian
+ ...
May 1, 2003

Advise me please on how I can enter Japanese characters in Homesite (better) or at least in Dreamweaver. How can I change coding for the site page?

And how can I be sure that a visitor will view the page seeing all that Japanese text, and not only unclear signs?

Thanks in advance

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:19
SITE FOUNDER
Homesite - you may need the japanese version May 1, 2003

Last I checked (a few years ago), you needed the Japanese version of Homesite to handle Japanese characters. Not sure about Dreamweaver.

Henry

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:19
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Dreamweaver in Japanese May 2, 2003

I am currently using the Japanese version of Dreamweaver, but I remember that on the Macromedia website I read somewhere that the English version of the software can be set as to allow Asian fonts too. In any case, one has also to set the specific language code in the property panel for each page of the web site.

Kind regards

Mario Cerutti

bochkor
bochkor
Local time: 17:19
English to German
+ ...
Check your meta tag in the HTML page! May 2, 2003

Dear Nataliya!

I write HTML manually and I really hate programs that automate it for 3 reasons:

1. They often put in their own unnecessary tags like and many others, especially Microsoft (converting a Word document to HTML bloats your file size so extremely, making download so slow, as if you had a lot of images on the page). Who asked for this extra? Nobody.

2. Their code is a disorganized mess, not in nice blocks as I write it. Wh
... See more
Dear Nataliya!

I write HTML manually and I really hate programs that automate it for 3 reasons:

1. They often put in their own unnecessary tags like and many others, especially Microsoft (converting a Word document to HTML bloats your file size so extremely, making download so slow, as if you had a lot of images on the page). Who asked for this extra? Nobody.

2. Their code is a disorganized mess, not in nice blocks as I write it. Who can see through that at first glance?

3. You either don\'t see the code that program is writing for you, only at the end or if there is a tab showing the code, users tend not to care, because they bought the whole program exactly to avoid having to learn HTML. So the pampered users then actually don\'t even know what\'s being written in their names, how to fix/change it or what\'s missing!

So my suggestion to you is to see, if you can locate the actual HTML code that your program is writing for you and check, whether at the top it contains one of these lines:

OR

OR

The first one is used most often, the second one also fairly often and the third one, Unicode, is starting to replace the previous two character sets, because it contains all languages, so it\'s global. However, browsers can read all 3. At least Internet Explorer, Netscape and some others.

You can see on my website how these character sets are implemented at:

http://www.wildboar.net/multilingual/asian/japanese/language/language.html

Just right-click on an HTML page, click on View Source and see what\'s on top!

So you have to decide, which one of the 3 character sets you would like to use (based on which one(s) your Japanese program can write) and replace the meta tag line with one of the above 3. Usually the line that\'s already there will have something like \"iso-8859-1\" or \"iso-8859-2\" or like \"windows-1250\" or \"windows-1252\", etc. defined as the charset (character set). So that part you\'ll simply change to the Japanese charset and that\'s it. But then everything on the page you\'ll have to write in Shift-JIS code or EUC code or Unicode. Of course, you can also use the standard Latin characters within the Japanese text, but no accented or other foreign-language characters.

Well, I hope that helps. If you still have questions, let me know!

László
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese text in HTML (Homesite, Dreamweaver)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »