domain and email address
Thread poster: Julia Kasper
Julia Kasper
Julia Kasper
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:16
English to German
Apr 28, 2003

I want to have an email address that does not get lost if I change my internet provider. I read somewhere I could buy a domain and use it as an email address. How does this work? Does every provider accept my domain name as an email adress?

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
email addresses Apr 29, 2003

obviously, there are other, cheaper alternatives like hotmail, yahoo, netscape etc. that will operate as webmail addresses.

Otherwise, if you buy a domain and hosting etc. then you will be given email addresses and the pop3 addresses etc. Once you have these, if you set up outlook or outlook exoress with the parameters they give you, then you will be able to use your email addresses. A slight warning, some service providers will not allow \"mail relaying\" so bear that in mi
... See more
obviously, there are other, cheaper alternatives like hotmail, yahoo, netscape etc. that will operate as webmail addresses.

Otherwise, if you buy a domain and hosting etc. then you will be given email addresses and the pop3 addresses etc. Once you have these, if you set up outlook or outlook exoress with the parameters they give you, then you will be able to use your email addresses. A slight warning, some service providers will not allow \"mail relaying\" so bear that in mind.
Collapse

Gianfranco Zecchino
Gianfranco Zecchino  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:16
German to Italian
+ ...
E-mail address also for Platinum members? Apr 30, 2003

Hi!

I enrolled as a Platinum member some months ago (also) to get a personal domain through ProZ. This should include an e-mail adress like [email protected], or am I wrong?

I could just find out how to create my webpage, but nothing about setting my mailbox.

Any details or hints to ProZ-Helppages about this issue?

Thanks a lot!

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
e-mail address Apr 30, 2003

I think the normal procedure is to register a domain when you reserve web site space. The web site host then registers the domain for you. It is \"your\" domain and you can move it to a different provider (host) at a later stage if you wish; the provider is likely to charge a small fee for doing so.

In my case, for example, I reserved the domain www.marcprior.de with Strato, here in Germany. Strato did the
... See more
I think the normal procedure is to register a domain when you reserve web site space. The web site host then registers the domain for you. It is \"your\" domain and you can move it to a different provider (host) at a later stage if you wish; the provider is likely to charge a small fee for doing so.

In my case, for example, I reserved the domain www.marcprior.de with Strato, here in Germany. Strato did the registration for me, and assigned me five e-mail addresses ([email protected]) which I can choose and change as I wish.

What you really need is advice from people in your own country, as a provider in another country is not likely to be a practical proposition in many cases. Regarding your current provider\'s policy, why not ask them yourself?

Marc

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Have a look at the hosting page Apr 30, 2003

Ciao Gianfranco,

There is a special Hosting Page, as well as a related Tech Info. (Both links are in the FAQ list - use \"About - FAQ\" in the new site design.)

HTH - best regards, Ralf

Gianfranco Zecchino
Gianfranco Zecchino  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Thank you, Ralf. Apr 30, 2003

Thanks indeed for the second hint you gave me today.

Ciao/Grüße/Bye

Julia Kasper
Julia Kasper
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Alexander and Marc. Apr 30, 2003

You confirmed my fears. My provider does not allow \"mail relaying\". Too bad, I will have to change again.

xxx xxx
xxx xxx
Kürzer , prägnanter + tippfehlerresistenter May 12, 2003

Der eigene Domain-Name hat den Vorteil, daß man ihn sich relativ frei auswählen kann und er auch kürzer und damit leichter zu merken und tippfehlerresistenter ist, als manchmal die Adressen bei einem ISP.

Ich komme mit https://yahoo.united-domains.de sehr gut zurecht. Man zahlt eine jährliche Gebühr für den Domain-Namen und kann dann in seinem \'Portfolio\' bestimmen, welche Website aufgerufen
... See more
Der eigene Domain-Name hat den Vorteil, daß man ihn sich relativ frei auswählen kann und er auch kürzer und damit leichter zu merken und tippfehlerresistenter ist, als manchmal die Adressen bei einem ISP.

Ich komme mit https://yahoo.united-domains.de sehr gut zurecht. Man zahlt eine jährliche Gebühr für den Domain-Namen und kann dann in seinem \'Portfolio\' bestimmen, welche Website aufgerufen wird, wenn man die Domain-Adresse angibt, z.B. die Homepage, die man bei seinem ISP eingerichtet hat. Das läßt sich sogar so einrichten, daß der Benutzer gar nicht die eigentliche, \'reale\' Adresse zu sehen bekommt, sondern nur die \'virtuelle\' Domain-Adresse.

Das gleiche gilt für e-mails.

Wenn man irgendwann seine Homepage woanders hin verlagert oder seine e-mail-Adresse ändert, paßt man einfach die Einstellungen in seinem Portfolio an.

Diane

(sorry for all those who do not speak German but I am tired and cannot think about English grammar and terminology any more)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

domain and email address

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »