It is so slow to switch between windows.
Thread poster: Tamie (X)
Tamie (X)
Tamie (X)
United States
Local time: 05:26
Japanese to English
+ ...
Apr 16, 2003

I just upgraded my computer, which is supposed to be much faster than my old one. I ususally leave 4 to 5 windows open during my translation in order to refer to the previous files I\'ve translated. Since I upgraded my computer, it takes several seconds to switch windows. It has no problem when switching to my dictionary window, but when switching between two excel files, for example, it is unblievably slow. Does anybody have any idea what is causing all this. I appreciate your help.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:26
French to Spanish
+ ...
Switch windows. Apr 16, 2003

Please, excuse my poor english.

To switch windows, try this:

Alt + tab

All your windows you\'re working on will appear in an other window. Just select by clicking tab the one you need.

Hope it\'ll help.

Juan Jacob.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:26
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Clues Apr 17, 2003

You might see if your CPU is working too hard with System Monitor:

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Monitor

You also might hit Ctl-Alt-Del 1 time (only once!) to see what might be eating up your CPU to make everything go slowly. Then delete extra programs (carefully - don\'t delete anything that is supposed to always be there.)

Just some suggestions. Hope it helps.

Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Local time: 07:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
You do not specified Apr 17, 2003

which operating system you are using.

Windows 95, 98, XP,etc. It will help to know in order to help you.

Dinorah

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
and what... Apr 17, 2003

... part of your computer did you upgrade?

Marina Zinno
Marina Zinno  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
RAM Apr 17, 2003

As far as i Know it can be also due to a poor RAM.

Windows XP in fact need a lot of it and maybe this is not so powerful.

The ALT+TAB tip it\'s a good one!

try it and verufy your RAM.

SimplyMe (X)
SimplyMe (X)
English to German
I know that issue... Apr 17, 2003

... but I still found no working solution. Sorry.

My OS: Windows XP Home.

Workaround: Do not switch windows within the same application. Switch to another application(ALT-TAB), then back to the window you wish to activate. This is quite fast.

Another issue to check: If a network connection is active and any application runs accessing a networked drive, task switching may be awfully slow because of the application trying to update the
... See more
... but I still found no working solution. Sorry.

My OS: Windows XP Home.

Workaround: Do not switch windows within the same application. Switch to another application(ALT-TAB), then back to the window you wish to activate. This is quite fast.

Another issue to check: If a network connection is active and any application runs accessing a networked drive, task switching may be awfully slow because of the application trying to update the networked drive\'s status.

Just close that application or make sure that no networked drive is currently accessed.

If you find a useful solution, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Chris.
Collapse

Tamie (X)
Tamie (X)
United States
Local time: 05:26
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone! Apr 17, 2003

I use XP right now, sorry I didn\'t specify my OS at first. Anyway, thank you for all your replies. I\'ll try using ALT+Tab like a lot of people mentioned here. It seems to work faster this way. Thank you so much for all your advices!!

ikhsan
ikhsan
English to Indonesian
+ ...
check the task manager Apr 18, 2003

You could try doing a checking of any ongoing process in your OS. Right click the taskbar - select task manager (or simply press CTRL+Shift+Esc). Select the Application tabs and try to spot any unwanted apps running. Find one end it by selecting the application and click the end task button. Still can\'t find the problem try checking the Process tab. There could be an application that is running in the background and eating up all the resources. Try to identify application which has big memory u... See more
You could try doing a checking of any ongoing process in your OS. Right click the taskbar - select task manager (or simply press CTRL+Shift+Esc). Select the Application tabs and try to spot any unwanted apps running. Find one end it by selecting the application and click the end task button. Still can\'t find the problem try checking the Process tab. There could be an application that is running in the background and eating up all the resources. Try to identify application which has big memory usage. If you don\'t think that application is not important....just end the process. But be very carefull, if you end any process that is critical to the system or your application, it could crash your application or your system.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

It is so slow to switch between windows.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »