How can I create a translation memory from previous translations?
Thread poster: portilla
portilla
portilla  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:45
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 19, 2003

I have been requested to use Trados for a translation project. They have sent me previous translations, but they don't have the unclean files. How can I create a translations memory with these? I work with Trados 5.5

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 10:45
German to English
+ ...
Use Winalign Sep 19, 2003

I guess that you have the standard trados package which also includes Winalign.

Aligning can be tricky, but it's the only way I know to get those existing translations into your memory without the uncleaned (or .bak) versions.

HTH

Alison

Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
More on Aligning Sep 19, 2003

To work with WinAlign, which is part of the standard TRADOS package, as Alison said, you will need both the source and the target files of the old translations. Save them (in a separate folder is best) as RTF files, and give them easily distinguishable names (FILE 1_SPA.RTF etc.)

Now you can open the WinAlign program and follow the instructions. There is also a short video on aligning that came on the 5.5 installation CD. It is really quite helpful.

Once the alignment
... See more
To work with WinAlign, which is part of the standard TRADOS package, as Alison said, you will need both the source and the target files of the old translations. Save them (in a separate folder is best) as RTF files, and give them easily distinguishable names (FILE 1_SPA.RTF etc.)

Now you can open the WinAlign program and follow the instructions. There is also a short video on aligning that came on the 5.5 installation CD. It is really quite helpful.

Once the alignment process is complete, you "export" the data as a text file (TXT) and save this file. Then you can open your regular TM and choose "import" to bring the TXT file in. The old translation memory units are now added to your TM.

HTH
Dorothee
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 10:45
German to English
+ ...
You don't HAVE to save them as rtfs Sep 19, 2003

Dorothee Racette wrote:

Save them (in a separate folder is best) as RTF files, and give them easily distinguishable names (FILE 1_SPA.RTF etc.)

There is an option in Winalign which allows you to work with .docs - you just have to remember to tell the program what kind of file you are using in the first window that appears when you start to create a new alignment project (a step I almost invariably forget and end up with an error message.....).

portilla
portilla  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Sep 19, 2003

I'm already up and running, so thank you very much!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I create a translation memory from previous translations?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »