Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 28, 2021

Dearest Emad

You should have said "no" when your employer asked you to post an advertisement disguised as a forum message in a dozen of ProZ.com's old threads from 15-20 years ago. Ethics seems so boring, until it bites you.

I imagine your employer thought that if you post the advertisement in some very old threads, no-one would be the wiser, but he didn't realise that posting a reply to a 20-year old discussion would catapult the "discussion" back to the top. He must
... See more
Dearest Emad

You should have said "no" when your employer asked you to post an advertisement disguised as a forum message in a dozen of ProZ.com's old threads from 15-20 years ago. Ethics seems so boring, until it bites you.

I imagine your employer thought that if you post the advertisement in some very old threads, no-one would be the wiser, but he didn't realise that posting a reply to a 20-year old discussion would catapult the "discussion" back to the top. He must have hoped that these advertisements would sit there, quietly, for Google's bot to discover, while causing no harm to anyone.

I understand the position that your employer must have put you in: "spam this forum, or face my disappointment". I, too, have once felt such pressure from an employer and had unfortunately given in to it, and I can tell you, it did not endear me to my colleagues (that was a decade ago, but the internet never forgets).

Samuel

recent posts

[Edited at 2021-09-28 06:51 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Eric Azevedo

Ana Cuesta
Ana Cuesta  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:17
English to Spanish
Is there an Emad at all? Sep 28, 2021

Isn’t it perhaps a plot of some ad placement platform?

Robert Rietvelt
Barbara Carrara
Christel Zipfel
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Nah Sep 28, 2021

It's a dude manually wearing down his Ctrl, C, and V keys

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DragoManager, or: saying "no" to unethical employer requests

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »