Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
How is the proliferation of translation platforms affecting your business?
Thread poster: Catherine Earle
Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Local time: 09:01
Italian to English
+ ...
You've got it Sep 6, 2021

Andreas Baranowski wrote:

As I said above, Catherine is not taking issue with CAT tools per se but with the agency environment they have brought forth. The self-congratulary brouhaha over progress, technology, fax machines, and what have you is completely off the mark.

Thanks for bringing this back on track. I know what Catherine means too. A number of my former agencies were gobbled up by a transnational monster that has its own own translating eco-system. The new setup required endless contracts, NDAs, tax certs. and so on, and every few months migrated its old virtual operation onto a new and improved platform called after a desert or reptile or stellar object that required new credentials, validation, blah-di-blah.

Now if I had no work and wanted to put all of my eggs into one basket, this might have been tolerable, but since most of my regular agencies are backsliders on the evolutionary ladder and happy to play email pingpong with me, and at most require a mainstream CAT tool (I have one), I've never even given the monster the time of day.

[Edited at 2021-09-06 13:40 GMT]

Tom in London
Philippe Etienne

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How is the proliferation of translation platforms affecting your business?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »