José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:15
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
"Don't change a thing!" in (sloppy) jobs I could have done better Jan 18, 2008

Though I'm basically a translator, I often go one or more steps beyond translation, such as DTP or video subtitling. On top of my working pair I also do these tasks in some languages that I speak, but in which my command is too limited to translate.

The worst is when I am asked to do this post-translation work with something already translated into a language in my own pair, with the instruction "Don't change one single comma! It was translated by [the big boss himself | nis neph
... See more
Though I'm basically a translator, I often go one or more steps beyond translation, such as DTP or video subtitling. On top of my working pair I also do these tasks in some languages that I speak, but in which my command is too limited to translate.

The worst is when I am asked to do this post-translation work with something already translated into a language in my own pair, with the instruction "Don't change one single comma! It was translated by [the big boss himself | nis nephew | his mistress | whatever]." and the translation is just as bad as it gets.

I feel like being ordered to carve typos in stone. Once I got a 90-min video, an interview with a renowned management guru, to time-spot and subtitle with the provided "material" which they assumed to be a translation. I'd trust that stuff to a pathologist, if you get what I mean. I was strictly requested not to change anything there. Among its countless shortcomings, there were: a) missing phrases; b) surplus phrases (unsaid, invented by the "translator"?); c) gross misinterpretations; d) blatant mistakes (e.g. "forty million" translated as "trinta mil" = "thirty thousand"); e) misspelling of proper names, and several others.

To have subtitles on the screen at all times when someone was speaking, I had to waive correspondence between said and written. Any bilingual spectator would think the translator/subtitler was high on dope.

Sometimes I get DTP jobs with a translation from/into one of my non-working languages which I could have done significantly better. It makes me question my refusal to work with these languages I didn't study so much, since there are people at large who make a living with a lesser knowledge of them than I have.

Now and then there is the brighter side of it. Once a long-standing client of mine asked me if I could "fix" a video translation for dubbing, done by a new translator they had found. They would have given it to me otherwise, but I had been on vacation at that time. The studio had returned it as "impossible to dub", so the whole job was postponed. I watched the first half-minute of the video while reading the translation, and made a gesture of tearing it in two. The client saw it and said "Yeah, that's the way to go. I can't do it myself because I actually paid for it. But you should go ahead, toss it, and start over."
Collapse

Elisabeth Hamilton
Elisabeth Hamilton
United States
Local time: 15:15
German to English
+ ...
20 word postcard - most gut-wrenching job I ever took Feb 2, 2008

Yes. I have a client who every once in a while comes up with these really old, somewhat illegible German letters/postcards written 50, 60, 70 years ago. Prior to about 1950 German had a different script (not as different as Cyrillic or anything, but different enough that you actually have to learn it (it's called Kurrent or Sütterlin). SO, when this client had a postcard to translate I figured - hey - peanuts! This postcard was written in 1908.

20 words and about 8 hours later I w
... See more
Yes. I have a client who every once in a while comes up with these really old, somewhat illegible German letters/postcards written 50, 60, 70 years ago. Prior to about 1950 German had a different script (not as different as Cyrillic or anything, but different enough that you actually have to learn it (it's called Kurrent or Sütterlin). SO, when this client had a postcard to translate I figured - hey - peanuts! This postcard was written in 1908.

20 words and about 8 hours later I was so desperate, I actually called up my grandmother pleading for help, and talked her into coming to visit for a cup of coffee (she's almost 80 and that was a HUGE deal for her). Luckily, with the help of my grandmother who is much better than me at reading this insane script it only took us about 2 hours to decipher it...

10 hours.. 20 words... $2.80
I'm glad I don't own a gun.
Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:15
English to German
+ ...
Chinglish Feb 21, 2008

Marketing material written in flowery Chinglish or any other English-hybrid language, texts with no structure, full of irrelelvant chitchat, redundancies, obscure references etc. and no real information.

PoveyTrans (X)
PoveyTrans (X)

German to English
5,000 words XLS files Feb 23, 2008

5,000 words, six XLS files, internal 'cost coding' for an international trade fair company covering German speaking countries. Not a single full stop, comma or semi-colon in sight, just 5,000 words of pure unintelligible random entries for any possible costs incurred by any trade fair run by ABC Well-Known-Trade-Fair-Company covering at least one hundred sectors...NEVER AGAIN. EVER. EVER. EVER.

Alex Eames
Alex Eames
English to Polish
+ ...
Pinglish to English May 20, 2008

I once had a large banking document that a client had had another person do Pol-Eng. It was about as non-native as a non-native thing can be. My client was furious because the translator hired said they were native.

It was bad bad Pinglish. Anyway I refused the job twice. Eventually the client begged and offered the full translation fee. I still didn't want to do it, but they were one of our original and best clients, so I relented - even though it was a weekend. They were in deep t
... See more
I once had a large banking document that a client had had another person do Pol-Eng. It was about as non-native as a non-native thing can be. My client was furious because the translator hired said they were native.

It was bad bad Pinglish. Anyway I refused the job twice. Eventually the client begged and offered the full translation fee. I still didn't want to do it, but they were one of our original and best clients, so I relented - even though it was a weekend. They were in deep trouble and I got them out of it.

They paid me a lot of money for it, but I still hated doing it.

There's a certain type of sentence structure in Polish commercialese/legalese which can only be translated well into English by splitting the sentence into two or completely reversing the sentence. They are found in a lot of legal documents and I hate them - particularly when they are rendered in Pinglish. The trouble with them is that in Pinglish they are utterly devoid of meaning. This was why the end-client had rejected the job.

Alex Eames
http://www.translatortips.com/
helping translators do better business
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Jobs that make you lose your will to live

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »