Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 18:26
inglés al alemán
+ ...
In Memoriam
What an insult. Apr 12, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

I don't know about the Germans. Perhaps they shoot you.

???

Nathaniel2
Nathaniel2
Local time: 03:26
eslovaco al inglés
I agree with Tom in London Apr 12, 2011

Try some way of pointing out the mistakes but without making it a point of embarassment. Ingrained mistakes are VERY difficult to unlearn. My father and mother spent 30 years saying "informations" and "I am interesting" instead of "I am interested" - I was too young when they learned it to point out their mistake, but later on there was no way of fixing it Your boyfriend will ultimately appreciate the effort, but try to make it fu... See more
Try some way of pointing out the mistakes but without making it a point of embarassment. Ingrained mistakes are VERY difficult to unlearn. My father and mother spent 30 years saying "informations" and "I am interesting" instead of "I am interested" - I was too young when they learned it to point out their mistake, but later on there was no way of fixing it Your boyfriend will ultimately appreciate the effort, but try to make it fun and not too critical.

[Edited at 2011-04-12 09:25 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
Reino Unido
Local time: 02:26
Miembro 2008
italiano al inglés
German joke Apr 12, 2011

I made the mistake of making a joke. It will not happen again.

[Edited at 2011-04-12 09:29 GMT]

Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
Local time: 04:26
inglés al sueco
+ ...
In my opinion Apr 12, 2011

I used to teach adults most of them around 40-60 years old French in Sweden. Some of my conclusions where that you have to be really careful not to hurt their feelings and encourage instead of correcting everything. I agree with those who said don't correct unless you don't understand. And perhaps if you just cant help your self but actually do understand what is getting at add an "but I understood perfectly what you ment, good!"afterwards.

And be patient it takes corrage to open o
... See more
I used to teach adults most of them around 40-60 years old French in Sweden. Some of my conclusions where that you have to be really careful not to hurt their feelings and encourage instead of correcting everything. I agree with those who said don't correct unless you don't understand. And perhaps if you just cant help your self but actually do understand what is getting at add an "but I understood perfectly what you ment, good!"afterwards.

And be patient it takes corrage to open ones mounth in a foreign language as an adult. I have experienced this myself. I moved to Latvia about a year ago it wasn’t until sometime this winter that I actually voluntarily started to try to speak. I now have a café I go where I feel comfortable enough to try to speak to the staff in Latvian and if they don’t understand then I know I can switch to English.

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Its up to him if he wants to learn or not. Many immigrants stick to their native language and are happy in their own community.

True. Some of us also end up in situations where we have little contact with the language spoken in the country working for international companies where the working language is English.
Actually where I used to work the company offered a language class a couple of times a week but it is hardly enough to really learn. And being in a situation where you just have moved to a new country and started a new job your brain is rather tired.
Now that I am freelancing it’s like a vicious circle. It’s hard to find Latvian friends because you don’t speak Latvian and it’s hard to learn because you don’t have Latvian friends. Sorry for the side track. Btw any Latvian reading this feel free to contact me!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
España
Miembro 2005
inglés al español
+ ...
Don't Apr 12, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Or we will tie you to a chair and won't let you go until you have eaten 5 kg of Sauerkraut and two dozens Bratwurst... with no beer to help!

Tom in London
Tom in London
Reino Unido
Miembro 2008
italiano al inglés
Mmm Apr 12, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Or we will tie you to a chair and won't let you go until you have eaten 5 kg of Sauerkraut and two dozens Bratwurst... with no beer to help!

That's hardly a punishment, Tomás. I like Bratwurst and Sauerkraut. And I don't like beer.

We seem to have wandered off-topic.....

Nicole Schnell
Estados Unidos
inglés al alemán
+ ...
In Memoriam
It depends. Apr 12, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I don't know about the Germans. Perhaps they shoot you.

???

... the Germans have no sense of humour. I will IMMEDIATELY withdraw my remark and will never joke again.

If you would make this joke about us Americans where everyone is allowed to run around with a gun like a pack of tampons in your purse, it would be funny. To Germans, where running around with a gun is strictly prohibited and against the law, any stupid joke about guns and shooting will be perceived as the five-hundred trillionth hint regarding the Nazi era. So, where's the humour again?

Nicole Schnell
Estados Unidos
inglés al alemán
+ ...
In Memoriam
Which brings us back to the topic :-) Apr 12, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Why it is so important to learn a foreign language darn' quickly. Step 1: How to order a beer!

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 21:26
Language is more than just a tool with which you express ideas Apr 12, 2011

When I think about a certain person, my brain always switches to the language in which we spent our time together. For me language has lots of connotations, it reflects the life I’ve lived, the environment I’ve experienced and my emotion attached to certain things.

The language you have talked is also a reason why your partner is fond of you. To speak to him in a different language is similar to establish a new relationship.

He needs time for a new partnership wit
... See more
When I think about a certain person, my brain always switches to the language in which we spent our time together. For me language has lots of connotations, it reflects the life I’ve lived, the environment I’ve experienced and my emotion attached to certain things.

The language you have talked is also a reason why your partner is fond of you. To speak to him in a different language is similar to establish a new relationship.

He needs time for a new partnership with you.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
España
Miembro 2005
inglés al español
+ ...
Indeed! Apr 12, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:
Why it is so important to learn a foreign language darn' quickly. Step 1: How to order a beer!

And after 5 kg of Sauerkraut, you need to learn the language to understand the explanation of how many fingers you need to raise in order to get two beers/three beers.

Tom in London
Tom in London
Reino Unido
Miembro 2008
italiano al inglés
1 beer Apr 12, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

And after 5 kg of Sauerkraut, you need to learn the language to understand the explanation of how many fingers you need to raise in order to get two beers/three beers.

and which finger to raise if you only want one.

Nicole Schnell
Estados Unidos
inglés al alemán
+ ...
In Memoriam
Well said! Apr 12, 2011

Bin Tiede wrote:

He needs time for a new partnership with you.

A new language can create quite a gap in communication between two people.

IPtranslate (X)
IPtranslate (X)
Brasil
inglés al neerlandés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Thanks a million Apr 12, 2011

already to all of you who took the time to respond and show me that this is not the first time that people are confronted with this kind of situation!

By the way: another German joke (told to me by a German colleague who - even after having told it a million times - still thought it was funny):

How do Germans eat mussels? They knock on them and shout "AUFMACHEN!"...

Nicole Schnell
Estados Unidos
inglés al alemán
+ ...
In Memoriam
Or like this: Apr 12, 2011

IPtranslate wrote:

already to all of you who took the time to respond and show me that this is not the first time that people are confronted with this kind of situation!

By the way: another German joke (told to me by a German colleague who - even after having told it a million times - still thought it was funny):

How do Germans eat mussels? They knock on them and shout "AUFMACHEN!"...

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
neerlandés al rumano
+ ...
same situation here Apr 12, 2011

Actually I am in almost the same situation as your partner. I've moved recently to Holland, I generally have no problem learning languages, but there is something about this one I think one of the problems is that all languages I know are from different language families. It would be certainly easier for me to learn Dutch if I would know German. Anyway, my partner is native Dutch, I am native Romanian. We started our relationship ... See more
Actually I am in almost the same situation as your partner. I've moved recently to Holland, I generally have no problem learning languages, but there is something about this one I think one of the problems is that all languages I know are from different language families. It would be certainly easier for me to learn Dutch if I would know German. Anyway, my partner is native Dutch, I am native Romanian. We started our relationship using English. Now I am trying to spend as much time as possible learning Dutch. I am a freelancer, I stay home and full immersion is really complicated in my case. It would be different if I would be employed and I would be therefore "forced" to speak Dutch all the time.

Anyway, when I am speaking to other Dutch people, I am using Dutch. People say my Dutch is getting better and better. So I really don't understand why I don't speak Dutch to my partner. We start saying something in Dutch and then switch to English. We know we shouldn't, and we say from now on we use only Dutch and then first time I don't understand something or can not express something, we go back to English. It is only about being patient and strong, I think. So probably I don´t have these qualities

So I would say you both should really speak only English (and we should really speak only Dutch ). Just make sure that you use Portuguese again when your partner is good enough in English. I think at least one native language should be spoken in a relationship.
Collapse

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on living with someone learning a first foreign language

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »