Sigfrido
Sigfrido  Identity Verified
Франция
Local time: 19:44
английский => испанский
+ ...
Feb 18, 2013

Hi dear colleagues,

I'm about to translate into English a French "Communiqué de Presse" announcing the acquisition of a company by an enterprise, but before starting I would like to find parallel texts in English, that is, any press release in this language dealing with the same topic.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Sigfrido Martin

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
французский => английский
+ ...
Is this homework for a university course? Feb 18, 2013

Sigfrido wrote:

Hi dear colleagues,

I'm about to translate into English a French "Communiqué de Presse" announcing the acquisition of a company by an enterprise, but before starting I would like to find parallel texts in English, that is, any press release in this language dealing with the same topic.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Sigfrido Martin

If it is, you should do it yourself as best you can since the idea is to learn from it. If it isn't, have you tried looking for texts yourself on the www? If it's an actual paid translation, as a native Spanish speaker, do you think it's really advisable to translate a press release between two foreign languages? Press releases usually have to be very idiomatic.
There is also a factor known as plagiarism. If you are actually planning to translate a press release that will be published, I wouldn't advise copying from an already published source.

Sigfrido
Sigfrido  Identity Verified
Франция
Local time: 19:44
английский => испанский
+ ...
Автор темы
Not homework / Aware enough of plagiarism Mar 7, 2013

Hi, writeaway,

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your comments and recommendations.

The translation was not for a university course but for the real life, and soon after posting my question I realized how easy it was to search the Internet and find similar texts -which I consulted as a reference and never thought of copying-.

As for the FR>EN combination, I've been translating technical texts into English for more than 6 months, despite my native lang
... See more
Hi, writeaway,

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your comments and recommendations.

The translation was not for a university course but for the real life, and soon after posting my question I realized how easy it was to search the Internet and find similar texts -which I consulted as a reference and never thought of copying-.

As for the FR>EN combination, I've been translating technical texts into English for more than 6 months, despite my native language being Spanish. Press language indeed frequently resembles literary texts, and for me translating a press release into English supposed a difficult task but at the same time a challenge I wanted to face to keep on learning. My translation was finally reviewed and edited, but I know I did my best.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Испания
Local time: 18:44
Член ProZ.com c 2007
английский
+ ...
I share writeaway's concerns Mar 7, 2013

Sigfrido wrote:
As for the FR>EN combination, I've been translating technical texts into English for more than 6 months, despite my native language being Spanish.

for me translating a press release into English supposed a difficult task but at the same time a challenge I wanted to face to keep on learning.

Lifelong learning is indeed laudable, and translators do need to continually learn new terminology and techniques throughout their careers. But I really don't think we should do so at the expense of our clients. Clients don't come to freelance translators for a 'make-do' quality translation; they come for the best possible.

In-house translators often do translations both ways and even between foreign languages, but that's only because a company can employ only so many translators, and likes to get the maximum value out of its investment. Universities also teach translation between foreign languages, but education and professional life are rather different. It's not an ideal practice, and it is neither logical nor expected of professional freelancers.

Your logical pairs are FR > ES; EN > ES; DA > ES (and perhaps ES > DA, using a Danish proofreader, but this depends on your level of written Danish). There are so many thousands of FR > EN and ES > EN translators, translating into their native language: why not leave them to do those jobs?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resource: [EN->FR] Press release parallel texts

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »