Nuno Rosalino
Nuno Rosalino
Regno Unito
Local time: 02:27
Membro (2012)
Da Inglese a Portoghese
+ ...
Dec 7, 2011

(I'm not really sure under which subforum this thread would fit, so if a moderator could move it to the appropriate subforum if this isn't the right one, that'd be swell)

I just saw this TED Talk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ht4qiDRZE8&

And I was really curious to find out what you guys think about it, how it could impact the translation business in t
... See more
(I'm not really sure under which subforum this thread would fit, so if a moderator could move it to the appropriate subforum if this isn't the right one, that'd be swell)

I just saw this TED Talk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ht4qiDRZE8&

And I was really curious to find out what you guys think about it, how it could impact the translation business in the future, general opinions, etc etc.

Regards,

Nuno.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germania
Local time: 03:27
Membro (2009)
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
Smiles before the blow Dec 8, 2011

The video starts out funny, but when he comes to his model of having the web translated for free, the smile vanished. Based on his philosophy, anybody can translate as well as a professional translator. I believe that we have seen more than enough examples of "wanna-be" translators.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
Francia
Membro
Da Inglese a Ungherese
+ ...
Two blog posts Dec 8, 2011

Here are two links to two widely read blogs: Duolingo: Crowdsourcing at its Best for the Translation Industry by a "Localization Visionary and Prof... See more
Here are two links to two widely read blogs: Duolingo: Crowdsourcing at its Best for the Translation Industry by a "Localization Visionary and Professional Contrarian" and Some (Serious) Observations on the Duolingo Brouhaha by a "financial translator" with "a dose of skepticism to guard against localization hype". Make sure to read the comments to the first one and the linked other blog entry of the second.

Best
Attila
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 18:27
Membro (2006)
Da Norvegese a Inglese
+ ...
Clueless Dec 8, 2011

Luis von Ahn is a good example of how a person can become highly proficient in a second language and yet not have a clue about either translation or language learning.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Repubblica Ceca
Da Inglese a Ceco
+ ...
The same thread... Dec 9, 2011

...opened by Nuno elsewhere can be found here.
Just for info...

Nuno Rosalino
Nuno Rosalino
Regno Unito
Membro (2012)
Da Inglese a Portoghese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Indeed I did Dec 9, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Just for info...

Yup, I also crossposted it to TC, I wanted opinions of people all around the community, not just Proz. I hope that's ok?

[Edited at 2011-12-09 14:58 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Repubblica Ceca
Da Inglese a Ceco
+ ...
Why not? Dec 9, 2011

Nuno Rosalino wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Just for info...

Yup, I also crossposted it to TC, I wanted opinions of people all around the community, not just Proz. I hope that's ok?

Hi Nuno,
IMO, it's perfectly okay. I just wanted to let other fellow ProZians know that some opinions on this topic already exist.

Elke Fehling
Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
Membro (2005)
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
Too many cooks spoil the broth Dec 9, 2011

I enjoyed watching the video and I find the idea really intersting.

But why doesn't this guy know that a text isn't just a bunch of random lines or paragraphs that can each be translated by a separate translator (or student, doesn't matter). The problem isn't the quality of the work of the single translators but the fact that it's not possible to produce a good and readable text like that.

Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Nuno Rosalino
Nuno Rosalino
Regno Unito
Membro (2012)
Da Inglese a Portoghese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Secret sauce Dec 9, 2011

Elke Fehling wrote:

I enjoyed watching the video and I find the idea really intersting.

But why doesn't this guy know that a text isn't just a bunch of random lines or paragraphs that can each be translated by a separate translator (or student, doesn't matter). The problem isn't the quality of the work of the single translators but the fact that it's not possible to produce a good and readable text like that.

Too many cooks spoil the broth.

I think the real crux of the question is how their system 'creates' the "professional" translation from the patchwork of simple translations. Keeping the cooking analogy going, if their 'secret sauce' is good enough, this could be really interesting; if not, well, they'll surely tank. But right now we can only wait and see, I suppose; Until then all we can do is take what the presentation said at face value.

[Edited at 2011-12-09 16:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-12-09 16:06 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Duolingo

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »