Thread poster: Barbara Baldi
Barbara Baldi
Barbara Baldi  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:12
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 26, 2010

Hello
does anybody have experience with this software and can tell me if it is efficient?
Thank you
Barbara

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:12
Romanian to English
+ ...
The language-learning software? Mar 26, 2010

If you mean the language program, then yes, it is excellent.
Even though I have only checked it briefly, so I can't speak for myself, my mom (at 50!) learned German from zero to an acceptable and correct conversational level in five months - of course, with a lot of diligence, other grammar books and dictionaries.

Personally, I find the software very entertaining, excitingly interactive. From what I've seen and read, its technique is based on natural learning skills (associati
... See more
If you mean the language program, then yes, it is excellent.
Even though I have only checked it briefly, so I can't speak for myself, my mom (at 50!) learned German from zero to an acceptable and correct conversational level in five months - of course, with a lot of diligence, other grammar books and dictionaries.

Personally, I find the software very entertaining, excitingly interactive. From what I've seen and read, its technique is based on natural learning skills (associating images with words, sounds with written letters etc.).

I highly recommend it for learning new languages for conversational purposes (it's a bit pricey, though).
Collapse

Karol Kacprzak
Karol Kacprzak  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
I like it Mar 26, 2010

I only tried it briefly as Annamaria, however, I also found it very entartaining. I tried with Russian and I still remember the words I covered in a few first lessons. It was boring sometimes to repeat the simplest words all over again in the next excercises, but it's been like a year now and I haven't forgotten any of them, so there must be something to it (I remember the images too!)

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:12
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Good report Mar 28, 2010

Although I haven't used it myself, some of our students have found it excellent. Its quite expensive, but they say its worth the money. For beginners starting from zero, to a beginner-intermediate level, I understand.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
I wrote a review of it Mar 29, 2010

in the current issue of The Chronicle, the journal of the ATA. I'll post it to my website when I get a free moment. But basically, I liked it. I also reviewed Pimsleur, which is quite different, and useful also. Both are for elementary language learning. Their claims that you can 'learn a language" in two weeks, or whatever, are of course nonsense.

Susan

Barbara Baldi
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First of all THANK YOU Mar 30, 2010

to everybody for the comments. I have heard of this program in the years but I really needed a professional feedback. Sounds like I HAVE to buy it : )) Of course I don't expect miracles in 2 weeks but if I could let's say learn Bulgarian in 6 months (at least the grammar and some vocab) I would be more than delighted...
Susan I'd be very thankful if you could let me have your like, of course there is no rush.
Thanks again.
Barbara

Barbara Baldi
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh and another question: Mar 30, 2010

would you say the methos is similar to the one used by Assimil?
Thank you for your patience
Barbara

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Review of tRosetta Stone and Pimsleur in the current issue of ATA Chronicle Mar 31, 2010

Language Self-Instruction: Choosing Between Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur
By Susan Welsh
Both Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur are effective tools for learning a language at an elementary level. Both claim to mimic the way a child learns his or her own language—but don’t count on it.

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Review of Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur Apr 15, 2010

I finally managed to post my review on my website, but cannot figure out how to put it on my Proz profile. The URL is:
http://ssw-translation.com/ATA_Pimsleur-Rosetta.shtml
Good luck!
Susan

[Edited at 2010-04-15 23:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-15 23:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-15 23:06 GMT]

Barbara Baldi
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
!! Apr 18, 2010

Susan, your article is just precious! I will be reading and retaining every word of it. This is really what I needed: an expert's point of view.
Just sorry fot this delayed reply.
All the best,
Barbara

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
changed link to Rosetta Stone review article May 1, 2010

Sorry, I changed the name of the html file and neglected to change it here. The correct URL is now:
http://ssw-translation.com/ATA_Chronicle_Pimsleur_vs_Rosetta_Stone.shtml

Andrea Piu
Andrea Piu  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
FSI Language Courses website Jan 1, 2011

I think there are better resources out there. For example, you can check the FSI website: http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php
Here you can find tons of audio files and course-books and they are free of charge, since the materials are in public domain. They are probably a bit outdated, as they were used by diplomats to improve their language skills in the 60s and 70s, but I think
... See more
I think there are better resources out there. For example, you can check the FSI website: http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php
Here you can find tons of audio files and course-books and they are free of charge, since the materials are in public domain. They are probably a bit outdated, as they were used by diplomats to improve their language skills in the 60s and 70s, but I think that a massive repetition practice and various grammar, vocabulary and substitution drills are the right way to the path of proficiency (at least, regarding the "oral" skills).
Collapse

Richard Marzan
Richard Marzan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rosetta Stone - The best resource I've ever used Jan 2, 2011

I have been using Rosetta Stone for about 2-3 years to teach others. I have the classroom edition - it's the version to teach- and I can say it is the best method I've ever seen. The four main skills of the language can be developed with RS (listening, speaking, writing and reading) in a natural way. It's amazing how people can learn a language using their intuition by connecting what they see and what they listen. I recommended it.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
We had a similar question recently Jan 2, 2011

http://www.proz.com/forum/teaching_and_learning_languages/186332-learning_swedish.html#1633358

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rosetta's stone

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »