Jorge Mosquera
Jorge Mosquera  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 22, 2012

Hi everyone,

I am new to the field of voice over and had some questions. I am going to work on a 11 minute instructional video on how to operate a machine (polisher). It is semi-technical in nature. The video walks the user through the process of unpacking, operating and maintaining the equipment. I would need to translate the script and then go to the client's studio and record my translation there. No cuing/editing would be needed on my part.

This is what the client o
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am new to the field of voice over and had some questions. I am going to work on a 11 minute instructional video on how to operate a machine (polisher). It is semi-technical in nature. The video walks the user through the process of unpacking, operating and maintaining the equipment. I would need to translate the script and then go to the client's studio and record my translation there. No cuing/editing would be needed on my part.

This is what the client offers:

"Our rates for vo’s over :60 seconds is our normal hourly rate of $140.
Under :60 is $35"

So:

1) What does that mean? I don't understand what the client is proposing or how much I would get paid.

2) How do you usually charge for your work? i.e. do you charge for the full length of the video or for the time you spent recording?

3) I'm assuming I should charge translation of script and recording in studio separately, right? Or would that be included in the rate the client is proposing?

Those are my main concerns for now. I realize there are other posts regarding voice over jobs, but I could not find my answer in any of them. I just need an explanation of what the client is saying I guess.

Thanks in advanced!

Jorge
Collapse

Sylvano
Sylvano
Local time: 16:20
English to French
Some answers Sep 24, 2012

Jorge Mosquera wrote:"Our rates for vo’s over :60 seconds is our normal hourly rate of $140.
Under :60 is $35"

I reckon the client is giving you a rate per hour of work with regards to the lenghth of the video in minutes. If the total video is beyond 1 minute, you'll be paid 140 per hour of work. And I'd say that if the video is anywhere under the minute, you'll get 35 dollars. You should get that clear with you client first.

2) How do you usually charge for your work? i.e. do you charge for the full length of the video or for the time you spent recording?

Usually, you should charge the length of the text you have translated. The rate is X dollars per 1500 signs. Sometimes, you have a rate per minute of video translated. You may also be paid per hour of your work to complete the job.

3) I'm assuming I should charge translation of script and recording in studio separately, right? Or would that be included in the rate the client is proposing?

I'm sorry but you're talking about two separate jobs here. Translation is done by a translator. Recording the translation is done by an actor or voice-over artist. Two jobs means being paid for both.

By the way, you say you won't have to be involved in cueing, but you're partly wrong. You'll have to determine a starting point for each line that is going to be recorded.

[Edited at 2012-09-24 10:06 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:20
Swedish to English
+ ...
Are you a V/O artist? Sep 24, 2012

Jorge Mosquera wrote:

Hi everyone,

I would need to translate the script and then go to the client's studio and record my translation there.

I've had to outsource a number of recordings as neither I nor my other in-house, non-translation, colleagues have the ability to produce a quality product. The person I've outsourced to is an expert voice over artist. We've done a few videos and I'm still amazed at the different voices he can produce (and I get to feel like Ingmar Bergman directing him).

I suggest you go back to you client and suggest they split the assignment into two, or even three, parts - transcription/translation and voice over. Whether they'll agree will depend on how much they value quality.

Jorge Mosquera
Jorge Mosquera  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 25, 2012

Thank you both for your replies. I have come to an agreement with the client for both translation and voice over rates.

Thanks again!

Jorge

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voice over rates explanation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »