Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:50
English to Swedish
+ ...
stop it Mar 28

Lingua 5B wrote:

It's unfounded because if I go to spa, or rarely sauna, I always see at last half of the visitors who are men there. You also called them losers who have nothing better to do, which is beyond unbelievable.

This poll has spa/wellness standard offerings as its orientation. If you don't like it, you may skip it or open a new poll, it's that simple. I don't understand the frustration in your comments.

Look, I left one response about the poll to share my point of view and wanted to leave it at that.

But then someone claimed I had called women "decadent and lazy" and I needed to correct that detail, because I had not done so and did not wish to be interpreted in that sense.

Then you said I had somehow made a "sexist comment", which is a pretty aggressive thing to say in forums these days and needs to be responded to early on. (Claiming someone is "sexist", while the word is unclear and ambiguous in meaning, has become a standard weapon irresponsibly wielded by anyone who feels uncomfortable about a man, usually with the intention of getting them blocked, cancelled or fired, depending on context.)

As for the men at the jacuzzi, I did not call them "losers" - that's your word.
Someone seemed to argue that the fact that there are plenty of men at jacuzzis somehow is an indication that jacuzzi is somehow an adequate and not "decadent" activity for men. I responded they probably don't have anything better to do, and indicated my explanation of that in terms of a long effeminization process going on in society (having less and less of the characteristics we traditionally associate with good men).

[Edited at 2024-03-28 01:00 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Surely a real man would be digging a non-metaphorical hole? Mar 28

Real men chop wood. They don’t do effeminate things like translate for a living.

Robert Rietvelt
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:50
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Incredible Mar 28

Here I am, thinking dinosaurs became extinct. Silly me.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Thomas Johansson
Peru
English to Swedish
+ ...
sounds fun Mar 30

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Real men chop wood. They don’t do effeminate things like translate for a living.

Chopping firewood sounds like a fun activity - a good male option for modern sedentary men to the different alternatives listed in this poll: you get physical exercise and get to do a task which requires some skill and careful handling, while at the same time getting to do something useful without wasting resources.

However, as for a modern philosophy that can help guiding modern men, boys and adolescents in a difficult world and help them achieve a healthful and successful life, I believe something a little bit more general is required - wood-chopping is not enough, nor adequate. I would go for something more along the lines of: "Real men" (if you want to use that terminology and way of phrasing things) work hard, build, construct, are responsible, are not afraid of engaging in physically demanding work or getting their hands dirty (such as wood-chopping...), learn how to solve problems, take care of their people, families and communities, study, train and improve themselves, get themselves a profession (for instance translating...) and are ready to take initiative and assume responsibility in resolving problems and challenges facing their communities.

[Edited at 2024-03-30 02:32 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Better Mar 30

Thomas Johansson wrote:

Chopping firewood sounds like a fun activity - a good male option for modern sedentary men to the different alternatives listed in this poll: you get physical exercise and get to do a task which requires some skill and careful handling, while at the same time getting to do something useful without wasting resources.

However, as for a modern philosophy that can help guiding modern men, boys and adolescents in a difficult world and help them achieve a healthful and successful life, I believe something a little bit more general is required - wood-chopping is not enough, nor adequate. I would go for something more along the lines of: "Real men" (if you want to use that terminology and way of phrasing things) work hard, build, construct, are responsible, are not afraid of engaging in physically demanding work or getting their hands dirty (such as wood-chopping...), learn how to solve problems, take care of their people, families and communities, study, train and improve themselves, get themselves a profession (for instance translating...) and are ready to take initiative and assume responsibility in resolving problems and challenges facing their communities.

Too right, but that goes for everyone, not just men.

Jennifer Levey
Thomas Johansson
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Thomas Johansson
Peru
English to Swedish
+ ...
I agree Mar 30

Thomas Johansson wrote:

Too right, but that goes for everyone, not just men.

I agree. I leave it to you to convince the females to get up from that jacuzzi and help out with the wood-chopping instead. There are also houses to build, heavy stuff to lift and occasionally wars that need men - sorry, men or women. I'm sure they'll be delighted to prepare themselves for such activities and to participate in them.

[Edited at 2024-03-31 03:55 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My favorite wellness/pampering time is:

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »