Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: By how much has the use of CAT tools increased your translation productivity?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:12
Italian to English
Til minne om
Improved quality, not necessarily quantity Jun 21, 2010

In general, I find that the translation time I save using a CAT tool (currently Trados 2009 Suite) tends to get used up by TM and termbase maintenance. No real time saving, then, but the improvement in quality is tangible.

There is also the little matter of being able to work directly with the more exotic file types. One of my current projects is a photo book for a small publisher who uses InDesign CS4. Translating the INX file in Studio is way easier than fiddling around with a mes
... See more
In general, I find that the translation time I save using a CAT tool (currently Trados 2009 Suite) tends to get used up by TM and termbase maintenance. No real time saving, then, but the improvement in quality is tangible.

There is also the little matter of being able to work directly with the more exotic file types. One of my current projects is a photo book for a small publisher who uses InDesign CS4. Translating the INX file in Studio is way easier than fiddling around with a messy, hard return-bespattered RTF text export in Word or ploughing through what can turn out to be an unappetising plate of tag soup in TagEditor or DVX
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:12
Portuguese to English
+ ...
You must be kidding Jun 21, 2010

Erik Matson wrote:

I am shocked to see how many "translators" don't have/use CAT-tools. Must be "hobby translators"!

Does that mean that all translators were "hobby 'translators" before CAT tools were invented? I'm really hoping that "wink" means you're kidding.

I used Trados for a couple of years and detested it. I do mostly literary translations, where CAT tools are worse than useless.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:12
English to German
+ ...
Til minne om
@ Erik Matson: Not funny. Jun 21, 2010

Erik Matson wrote:
I am shocked to see how many "translators" don't have/use CAT-tools. Must be "hobby translators"!

What you said is a slap in the face of all the truly seasoned and experienced colleagues who were busy translating before there even were any PCs.

Edited for typo.

[Edited at 2010-06-21 17:27 GMT]

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Experience Jun 21, 2010

Erik Matson wrote:

You sound like a CAT tool: all and only a matter of words, huh?
We'll come back to the subject when you have a little more experience, the only thing that really increases productivity...

[Modifié le 2010-06-21 19:30 GMT]

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Experience Jun 21, 2010

[Modifié le 2010-06-21 19:29 GMT]

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Til minne om
YMMV Jun 21, 2010

Amy Duncan wrote:

I used Trados for a couple of years and detested it. I do mostly literary translations, where CAT tools are worse than useless.

For you, perhaps, Amy but not for everyone.

It is important not to confuse translation genres (literary, commercial, technical, editorial etc) with translation tools (CATs, word processors or good old pen and paper).

What the punters pay for is the result, not how it was achieved.

Giles

Wouter van Kampen
Wouter van Kampen
Thailand
Local time: 04:12
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
Yes, pls define productivity. Jun 22, 2010

How do you express productivity; in terms of income per hour or volume of text processed per hour?

I concur with Yasutomo. The good thing however about CAT tools, is that using them improves consistent use of expressions and terminology. Not paying for repetitions, I deem totally unfair. There should be an economically sound ROI on CAT tools. But all too often, the ROI is zero or negative. There is also an increasing pressure to upgrade CAT tools more frequently. Again, who benefits
... See more
How do you express productivity; in terms of income per hour or volume of text processed per hour?

I concur with Yasutomo. The good thing however about CAT tools, is that using them improves consistent use of expressions and terminology. Not paying for repetitions, I deem totally unfair. There should be an economically sound ROI on CAT tools. But all too often, the ROI is zero or negative. There is also an increasing pressure to upgrade CAT tools more frequently. Again, who benefits? The individual translator? I doubt it.

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

I voted for "I don't know", except the fact that it has increased my translation productivity but at the same time decreased my income due to notorious CAT tool analysis and discounts on repetitions and fuzzy matches which I believe is unfair indeed.
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:12
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
@Erik Jun 22, 2010

Erik Matson wrote:

Erik, below is a topic regarding translators using CAT tools and who don't. You would be surprised how many don't need them or useless for their work.

http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/158662-translators_not_owning_cat_tools:_how_do_they_manage.html

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
CAT versus clairvoyant translating Jun 22, 2010

Well said, Amy, Nicole & Interlangue!

The only "fuzzy matches" in my house are the ones that fall down the side of the cooker!

Like Amy, I find CAT of limited use for my kind of work. I can use Wordfast, but processing "pre-computer" texts to create files usually adds more work than the CAT saves.

If someone can find me a tool that can decipher a Medieval Latin or Old French manuscript - with all the non-standard spellings and abbreviations - now that
... See more
Well said, Amy, Nicole & Interlangue!

The only "fuzzy matches" in my house are the ones that fall down the side of the cooker!

Like Amy, I find CAT of limited use for my kind of work. I can use Wordfast, but processing "pre-computer" texts to create files usually adds more work than the CAT saves.

If someone can find me a tool that can decipher a Medieval Latin or Old French manuscript - with all the non-standard spellings and abbreviations - now that would be useful!

Cultivating the art of clairvoyant or channelled translating might be more use to me - does anyone out there do this? Most of the authors I translate are dead, and it's a bit tricky trying to get in touch with them to ask which of two equally plausible readings is correct (the ambiguity is usually untranslatable).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: By how much has the use of CAT tools increased your translation productivity?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »