Red Cat Studios
Red Cat Studios
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:34
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Mar 16, 2003

After a crash, I had to change my hard drive and re-install all my system (software, folders, files, etc.). I\'ve used only original disks to re-install the Office package, but still my Word is not working properly, as I cannot use my French spellchecker any more (the English on is fine). I\'ve tried to delete and re-setup the software, but still nothing good for my French spellchecker.

Does anyone have a particular knowledge about fixing this problem and is keen to share?... See more
After a crash, I had to change my hard drive and re-install all my system (software, folders, files, etc.). I\'ve used only original disks to re-install the Office package, but still my Word is not working properly, as I cannot use my French spellchecker any more (the English on is fine). I\'ve tried to delete and re-setup the software, but still nothing good for my French spellchecker.

Does anyone have a particular knowledge about fixing this problem and is keen to share?

In advance thank you all for your time and good spirit.

Dan LP
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:34
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What kind of Word? Mar 16, 2003

Could it be that you use an english Word version, and previous you had a french Word installed on your system, but now didn´t install one version over the other?

With just the information you gave I cannot think about any solution - I need further details.

But regardless the reason for your problem you could purchase a Proofing Tool Kit for Office, which includes over 40 languages - it works very fine, I´m using it since Office 2000.

Regards<
... See more
Could it be that you use an english Word version, and previous you had a french Word installed on your system, but now didn´t install one version over the other?

With just the information you gave I cannot think about any solution - I need further details.

But regardless the reason for your problem you could purchase a Proofing Tool Kit for Office, which includes over 40 languages - it works very fine, I´m using it since Office 2000.

Regards

Jerzy
Collapse

Red Cat Studios
Red Cat Studios
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:34
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Office 2000 English Mar 17, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-16 23:18, JCzopik wrote:

It\'s MS Office 2000 English - the same I was using before crash. After installing th... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-16 23:18, JCzopik wrote:

It\'s MS Office 2000 English - the same I was using before crash. After installing the new hard drive, I have re-installed the original package of software.

Thank you for your time and advice. I\'ll have a look to the Office Resources Kit, but in the meantime if you have any tricks for Word 2000 (English), I would appreciate. Tanks.

Dan LP ▲ Collapse

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:34
English to French
+ ...
L'installation n'est pas totalement automatisée Mar 17, 2003

Bonjour, Dan

Mon expérience personnelle m\'amontré qu\'au moment d\'installer l\'application, seul le vérificateur anglais est installé. Un simple test:

ouvrir un fichier en français et lancer la correction. En principe, un message devrait apparaître disant que l\'outil de vérification n\'est pas installé et demandant si l\'utilisateur désire l\'installer. Il suffit de dire oui. Ce message apparaît lors de la première demande d\'utilisation.... See more
Bonjour, Dan

Mon expérience personnelle m\'amontré qu\'au moment d\'installer l\'application, seul le vérificateur anglais est installé. Un simple test:

ouvrir un fichier en français et lancer la correction. En principe, un message devrait apparaître disant que l\'outil de vérification n\'est pas installé et demandant si l\'utilisateur désire l\'installer. Il suffit de dire oui. Ce message apparaît lors de la première demande d\'utilisation.

Autre suggestion: lancer la fonction Ajouter ou Enlever des applications et choisir le Microsoft Office. Le vérificateur français (orthographe, synonymes et grammaire) doit se trouver dans la rubrique Microsoft Office Proofing Tools.

Amicalement

Bruno Magne

Porto Alegre - Brésil
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:34
English to German
+ ...
maybe the settings of the user dictionary Mar 17, 2003

It reminds me to a problem I had with Word 97 and XP installed on the same PC: in the Options dialog for the dictionary, you can choose the language.

The English spelling checker only worked, when I set the language to \"none\".

(Maybe your UI is named differently, I just guessed it by translating from German.)

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Enable multiple languages Mar 17, 2003

Dan, I\'ve just been through this with a new Windows 2000 installation. The English version of Office 2000 definitely comes with French and Spanish proofing tools so no need to buy proofing tools separately.

Maybe, as you\'ve reinstalled, you just need to reconfigure your system for multilingual support?

I found instructions in Word Help (under \"editing texts in other languages\"). There\'s a setting that needs to be activated in Windows to enable supp
... See more
Dan, I\'ve just been through this with a new Windows 2000 installation. The English version of Office 2000 definitely comes with French and Spanish proofing tools so no need to buy proofing tools separately.

Maybe, as you\'ve reinstalled, you just need to reconfigure your system for multilingual support?

I found instructions in Word Help (under \"editing texts in other languages\"). There\'s a setting that needs to be activated in Windows to enable support for other languages. After that, the specific proofing tools can be set up in Office (I seem to remember being prompted for the disks at that stage.)

Hope it does the trick!

Collapse

Transflux (X)
Transflux (X)
French to English
+ ...
install all options Mar 17, 2003

Hi there

I had a similar crash just a few months ago and had to start from scratch. When you install 2000 make sure you install the french spellchecker by going to custom, otherwise you only get the basics.

Cheers

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Multiple languages Mar 17, 2003

Use a tool from the folder \"Microsoft Office Tools\" (via Start - Programms) called \"Microsoft Office XP language settings\". There you can define the active languages for your office package.

Even my german Word has French spell checking.

Nevertheless I would recommend you the Proofing Tool Kit, as it works very good.

Jerzy

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:34
English to French
Proofing kit Mar 20, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-17 18:43, JCzopik wrote:

Nevertheless I would recommend you the Proofing Tool Kit, as it works very good.

Jerzy

Hi Jerzy,

What is the more to the proofing kit then just spellchecking? Is the spell checking more advanced? I would be interested to know your opinion on that one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot use my French spellchecker on Word any more

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »