Learning interpreting - one language pair after the other, or both at same time?
Thread poster: Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 09:28
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 17, 2023

I have just started online training as an interpreter. If I find that I am capable of doing this job at all I would probably find work in my local community where I would end up using all three of my working languages.

My question concerns the training: should I focus on one language pair, and later add the other?

I'm tempted to go all in with both language pairs, but will I end up with a huge knot in my brain?

I'm interested in your experiences and opinion
... See more
I have just started online training as an interpreter. If I find that I am capable of doing this job at all I would probably find work in my local community where I would end up using all three of my working languages.

My question concerns the training: should I focus on one language pair, and later add the other?

I'm tempted to go all in with both language pairs, but will I end up with a huge knot in my brain?

I'm interested in your experiences and opinions.
Collapse

Soyed Alam

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
One language pair Dec 17, 2023

What do you consider one/two language pairs?

For instance, it’d be quite common for an interpreter to interpret two/both ways between English < > German. Do you see it as two language pairs? In interpreting, that’s one pair, and I suggest to stick to it at first, then later on maybe add one more language.

[Edited at 2023-12-17 11:47 GMT]

Soyed Alam

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 02:28
English to Russian
+ ...
I would say there is no generic answer Dec 17, 2023

In this particular case.

Anna Sarah, I would presume that we are talking consecutive interpretation where one pair implies both ways by definition. The decision could only be subjective and no one but you can assess your readiness.

Community needs may differ greatly and some can be pretty generic. So there could be no harm in practicing more than one pair, especially between well-mastered working languages. On the other hand, only you would know if you can assist with,
... See more
In this particular case.

Anna Sarah, I would presume that we are talking consecutive interpretation where one pair implies both ways by definition. The decision could only be subjective and no one but you can assess your readiness.

Community needs may differ greatly and some can be pretty generic. So there could be no harm in practicing more than one pair, especially between well-mastered working languages. On the other hand, only you would know if you can assist with, say, depositions or any highly specialized subjects.

If you don't have enough interpretation practice in any pair, then I would suggest to start with your prime pair simply because the first thing you need to understand is your state of mind and your composure while standing in front of the crowd. You may have enough trouble with mind blocks, loss of elementary terms known to you since childhood, fear of the crowd, exposure insecurity, you name it. The beginner should stand on the most familiar and comfortable ground. Or. maybe, you'll have none of it. Some people have been born to control the audience, some haven't

Good luck!
Irina
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All my working languages Dec 17, 2023

I consider EN->PT and PT->EN the same language pair.

I foresee working in DE->PT / PT->DE as well, which I would consider language pair #2.

Soyed Alam

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Test it out Dec 17, 2023

Maybe start with one for a while, then after some time test pair #2 and see how it goes.

Soyed Alam

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learning interpreting - one language pair after the other, or both at same time?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »