Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
FINDING NEW CLIENTS > BREACH OF CONFIDENTIALITY??
Thread poster: Alessio Cappelli
Alessio Cappelli
Alessio Cappelli
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:00
Member (2018)
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
legally, rather than ethically Mar 9, 2023

Nobody can restrict an individual’s choice of working with whomever they please or can.

As a matter of fact, the agencies don't forbid me from working with other clients/agencies; indeed, after a certain amount of time has elapsed from the termination of the contract, I could even re-approach their very same clients and get them directly...

The conundrum was whether (legally) it was okay for me to mention in an introductory email the names of their clients (i.e. the law firms I have provided my services to), albeit not making any specific connection whatsoever between my agencies and their clients (again, the law firms)...

Thanks!

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:00
German to Swedish
+ ...
Hm Mar 9, 2023

Merab Dekano wrote:

Now, from the legal point of view, there is nothing your former agency can do, even if you signed that you will not work for their end clients for whatever period.

Huh? Any claimed contract violation in whatever context can be taken to civil court, and it would be up to the court to evaluate the parties' rights. Non-compete clauses are pretty standard, and I don't see why they wouldn't be enforcable (if they're in line with current practise).

Translators are small fry and it's unlikely to be worth an agency's trouble to sue them over minor violations. That's another story.

Rachel Waddington
Joe France

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FINDING NEW CLIENTS > BREACH OF CONFIDENTIALITY??

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »