Interpreting with MS Teams, training in technical area.
Thread poster: Dr.-Ing. Igor Krasontovitch
Dr.-Ing. Igor Krasontovitch
Dr.-Ing. Igor Krasontovitch  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:12
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 2, 2021

Who has experience interpreting with MS Teams? Can you send me any good links and give some tips? Which are the main possible technical or similar problems? Is it usually simultaneous or consecutive interpreting?

Many thanks in advance

Shkar Mahmood

Oriol Vives (X)
Oriol Vives (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
Sure Nov 2, 2021

Let me check and get back at you in a few.

Shkar Mahmood

erika rubinstein
erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
MS Teams Nov 3, 2021

With MS Teams you can interpret only consecutively. It is just a plattform or online meetings. Nothing special about it.

Lachesis Braick
Elena Simonelli
Shkar Mahmood

Lachesis Braick
Lachesis Braick
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:12
Member (2022)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I interpret on Teams almost daily (here's how to do simultaneous interpreting) Nov 4, 2021

There is nothing too complex about it. What I would add if if you want to do simultaneous interpreting you will need a second platform or you will have to make a phone call to the person/people you are interpreting for and have them on another line (this won't work if they are joining by phone). I have a pair of earbuds that I wear under my headset so I just go back and forth with my microphones when switching languages. You must remember to mute yourself in the source language call.

Elena Simonelli
Shkar Mahmood

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 04:12
English to Russian
+ ...
One logistical precaution Nov 6, 2021

Make sure that you have not only the backup number for a phone connection to the meeting, but you and the lead/coordinator have each other's private phones/hot emails in case of an Internet glitch on your side. I lose Internet very rarely, like once in a few months and very briefly, but I had to proceed over my Iphone once since my digital voice comm died together with everything else. Nobody got hurt:-) It's just that some clients tend to panic and being able to reach them within the next 30 se... See more
Make sure that you have not only the backup number for a phone connection to the meeting, but you and the lead/coordinator have each other's private phones/hot emails in case of an Internet glitch on your side. I lose Internet very rarely, like once in a few months and very briefly, but I had to proceed over my Iphone once since my digital voice comm died together with everything else. Nobody got hurt:-) It's just that some clients tend to panic and being able to reach them within the next 30 seconds is very important. In my case, I know my clients for ages and don't feel like approaching a heart attack even at the most important and high-level meetings, but getting lost on a first date could be much more stressful. Sometimes the glitch is on their side, with all their space technology:-) We are even, and we are family. Things happen, so keep your cool.Collapse

Shkar Mahmood

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
I've done it Nov 26, 2021

Edit: never mind, that was Zoom. Sorry.

My brain cells have been annihilated by Ukrainian bureaucracy this week.

[Edited at 2021-11-26 19:58 GMT]

Shkar Mahmood

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting with MS Teams, training in technical area.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »