Got a request for short simultaneous interpreting azt the weekend - should I?
Thread poster: Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:54
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 3, 2021

Hi all,

I need your honest opinion on this. I just got a request for a rush job this weekend, simultaneoius interpreting, but only 4 x 15 mins on Saturday and Sunday. Client needs me to be on site all day long as nobody knows when my services will be needed.
Problem is: I haven't done simultaneous interpreting before, only a tiny bit of consecutive. Not that I am not sure I could do it for those short amounts of time, also the topic is okay, but I am still hesitant. And IF yo
... See more
Hi all,

I need your honest opinion on this. I just got a request for a rush job this weekend, simultaneoius interpreting, but only 4 x 15 mins on Saturday and Sunday. Client needs me to be on site all day long as nobody knows when my services will be needed.
Problem is: I haven't done simultaneous interpreting before, only a tiny bit of consecutive. Not that I am not sure I could do it for those short amounts of time, also the topic is okay, but I am still hesitant. And IF you think it is doable, how much would you charge for being present for 1,5 days (16 hours) and 4 x 15 mins work?

Thanks a lot!
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I wouldn't do it Sep 3, 2021

Inez Ulrich wrote:

Hi all,

Problem is: I haven't done simultaneous interpreting before, only a tiny bit of consecutive. Not that I am not sure I could do it for those short amounts of time, also the topic is okay, but I am still hesitant. And IF you think it is doable, how much would you charge for being present for 1,5 days (16 hours) and 4 x 15 mins work?

Thanks a lot!

Simultaneous interpreting is a different kind of sport, and since you never have done it before. Risky, but it is ofcourse totally up to you.

Angie Garbarino
Alice Crisan
Dalia Nour
Daryo
Joe France
expressisverbis

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 3, 2021

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Inez Ulrich wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks a lot!

Simultaneous interpreting is a different kind of sport, and since you never have done it before. Risky, but it is ofcourse totally up to you.

Thanks for your reply - I really appreciate it! I'm really not sure. On the one hand, I'm quite confident I can do it, because the slots are short, but on the other hand ...

erika rubinstein
erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Strange Sep 3, 2021

But why do you think, you can this, if you never did it before? It is really strange...

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not so strange Sep 3, 2021

erika rubinstein wrote:

But why do you think, you can this, if you never did it before? It is really strange...

because I have done consecutive, so at least I have worked in a similar environment. But of course you could be right.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Consecutive is a totally different thing Sep 3, 2021

Inez Ulrich wrote:

because I have done consecutive, so at least I have worked in a similar environment. But of course you could be right.

Very different, it is not similar, my opinion is with Robert.

expressisverbis
Laura Pastondi

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you are all right Sep 3, 2021

Thanks all - I followed my gut feeling and decided against it, for the same reasons you all told me. I'll enjoy my weekend in the garden instead.
Thank you!

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Dalia Nour

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Not a similar environment at all. Sep 3, 2021

Aside from it being a different type of interpreting, simultaneous interpreting involves a lot of equipment use. Have you ever been in a booth? Do you know how to use the control consoles? Do you know what all the numerous buttons on the consoles are for? Are you able to switch them quickly when needed during interpreting?

Simultaneous interpreting is charged at 4 or 8 hours minimums, regardless of how long you will be actually interpreting. Your time is booked so it’s fully charg
... See more
Aside from it being a different type of interpreting, simultaneous interpreting involves a lot of equipment use. Have you ever been in a booth? Do you know how to use the control consoles? Do you know what all the numerous buttons on the consoles are for? Are you able to switch them quickly when needed during interpreting?

Simultaneous interpreting is charged at 4 or 8 hours minimums, regardless of how long you will be actually interpreting. Your time is booked so it’s fully charged.

The slots seem very short (so it’s OK if you don’t have a partner in the booth), so it may be doable if you are confident in the equipment and subject-matter.

Or perhaps your client meant whispering only. In this case it’s more similar to consecutive, and simpler than the booth.

[Edited at 2021-09-03 17:11 GMT]
Collapse

Dalia Nour
expressisverbis

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
To prepare for future offers of the sort Sep 3, 2021

Just practice simultaneous interpreting on TV/streaming video

You'll quickly figure out your capability or lack thereof

PS avoid the news unless you want a challenge, news anchors talk noticeably faster than mere mortals

expressisverbis
Cristina Heraud-van Tol

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
lol reading, not talking. Sep 3, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Just practice simultaneous interpreting on TV/streaming video

You'll quickly figure out your capability or lack thereof

PS avoid the news unless you want a challenge, news anchors talk noticeably faster than mere mortals

The audience for simul. booth interpreters is usually large, and the source speaker is usually some CEO or expert talking on the stage while reading from their written speech (reading speed, not talking speed). That's how "slow" it is.

Again, a whispering SI situation is usually "lighter" and you usually just interpret one way and for one person. However, the source speaker is again a presenter with a well prepared presentation/speech reading from slides or notes (reading, not talking).

[Edited at 2021-09-03 20:17 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 05:54
Romanian to English
+ ...
No need for ”a lot of equipment” Sep 4, 2021

Lingua 5B wrote:

Simultaneous interpreting is charged at 4 or 8 hours minimums, regardless of how long you will be actually interpreting. Your time is booked so it’s fully charged.

The slots seem very short (so it’s OK if you don’t have a partner in the booth), so it may be doable if you are confident in the equipment and subject-matter.

Or perhaps your client meant whispering only. In this case it’s more similar to consecutive, and simpler than the booth.

[Edited at 2021-09-03 17:11 GMT]

Nowadays, Zoom and other platforms are reliable platforms for simultaneous and consecutive interpretation. Nothing sophisticated like a conference room. No need for control consoles.

Lee

[Edited at 2021-09-04 00:34 GMT]

expressisverbis

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
My rule is.... Sep 4, 2021

[quote]Inez Ulrich wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Inez Ulrich wrote:

Thanks for your reply - I really appreciate it! I'm really not sure.

... when not sure, don't do it!

Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:54
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
On the other hand... Sep 8, 2021

If you really want to embark on simultaneous interpretation, either to just have a sense of it or gain experience to start offering it in the future as part of your services, I would say, go for it! This is the perfect opportunity!!!

You will be on site all day long, getting used to how a conference/workshop/meeting, whatever it is, works. Look at what people do, how quick/slow they talk, their accents, their tone. Meet with the organizers as well as with the speakers, I always do.
... See more
If you really want to embark on simultaneous interpretation, either to just have a sense of it or gain experience to start offering it in the future as part of your services, I would say, go for it! This is the perfect opportunity!!!

You will be on site all day long, getting used to how a conference/workshop/meeting, whatever it is, works. Look at what people do, how quick/slow they talk, their accents, their tone. Meet with the organizers as well as with the speakers, I always do. Just by saying "Hi" before the meeting starts gives you an idea of how the person speaks. In 80% of the cases, he/she says: "I'll try to speak slow", and that's great! You probably already know these things from consecutive interpretation.

And because you will be only speaking for 15-minute intervals, you can rest afterwards, without the stress. It's like testing the water of a pool with your toes, instead of diving into it (15-minute talks versus 2-hour dissertations). By the 3rd or 4th speech you will be more confident.

There is normally a technician in the room who takes care of the equipment, so you don't have to bring yours. In my opinion, they are always very friendly and cooperative. They will make sure the sound is right, that everything works well, microphones, they test things with you, etc. Just ask him/her any questions of how the console works, he/she will definitely answer all your doubts. It's not rocket science either! Just a button for talking, another one for muting, because you won't work together/take turns with a partner nor use relay.

Take a risk and don't miss the chance!
Collapse

Korana Lasić

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 22, 2022

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

I never thanked you for your encouraging post, so even if it is a very delayed thank you: thank you!
The reason I digged up this thread again is that I think I'd like to develop my skills and start an interpreter training now (not sure which one, maybe that of Proz here - or maybe some of you have some recs). I don't know if I will ever get to the point of really doing interpreting, but I'd like to try and do some learning.

Maybe not simultaneous, but consecutive for a start.

Have a lovely weekend all!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Got a request for short simultaneous interpreting azt the weekend - should I?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »