Bethany Kachura
Bethany Kachura
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:12
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2021

Hello all

Is anyone aware of any audios or videos available for practising community interpreting in health and social services? For example, doctors appointments or meetings with social workers. I interpret between Italian and English, and would like to get some practise in. Ideally I'd use both audios/videos in Italian and English, so I can practise both ways. I'm searching online but can't find anything by googling
... See more
Hello all

Is anyone aware of any audios or videos available for practising community interpreting in health and social services? For example, doctors appointments or meetings with social workers. I interpret between Italian and English, and would like to get some practise in. Ideally I'd use both audios/videos in Italian and English, so I can practise both ways. I'm searching online but can't find anything by googling terms like "audio" "interpreting" "practise" "health" "social".... where might I find resources like this?

Thank you very much.
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Watch Youtube? Jul 15, 2021

That has pretty much everything. Often subtitled, sometimes not even with MT.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 09:12
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
How does that help with what she's looking for? Jul 15, 2021

Adieu wrote:

That has pretty much everything. Often subtitled, sometimes not even with MT.

Not sure how subtitles will help her practice? She requires interpreting practice simulating a real life scenario in which there are no subtitles.

Back on topic, I don't think you'll find faithful scenarios, as those kinds of appointments are always confidential. You can find some fake scenarios such as medical practice training for students involving some actor/volunteer acting as a patient, for instance.

I am not aware of any software for this, but what you can do manually is click pause after each 3-4 sentences (or one small passage or thematic block), interpreter immediately, then unpause quickly not losing the rhythm of the conversation and continue doing this throughout the whole video. Try to record the whole process through a screencast software in a recorded audio file that you can check later and check your own errors.

Maybe somebody is aware of a software that joins all these steps and features together.

For instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4wWClQhZaA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwKnqvIGLaI

You can search for "doctor's appointment training" or "social worker appointment training" or similar phrases on YT.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Audios/videos for practising community interpreting

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »